Squaring and V-Wheels

ProtonStorm

Squaring and V-Wheels

Post by ProtonStorm » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:52 pm

I have one of the new kits, just ordered mine last week and have it mostly together. I'm trying to square the main frame, but I'm running into a couple of issues: the first is that no matter how loose or tight I have the V-Wheels and the end plates, I have one V-Wheel touch the endplate on one side, but not on the other. It only does this on the "front" plate, the back plate I can get to touch both V-Wheels. I don't think the Makerslide is bent or the plate is bent, but it's a weird issue and I'm looking for ideas. I also have one V-Wheel that seems to be a different diameter than the others, because I can't get it completely loose on the eccentric spacer. Even when the spacer is all the way loose, if I turn the V-Wheel on it, the carriage will move, in other words, it doesn't freewheel. I'm wondering if this might be part of my other problem, but I'm stumped as to why it would cause that problem. Everything is assembled correctly, and as far as I can tell, nothing is bent. Ideas?

Edit: After a closer examination this evening, I have discovered that my endplates are bowed, one of them worse than the other. When tightened into place, no matter the configuation, it's still out of square by at least 1/16th". Is there a way to square this up? I know someone mentioned bolting the plates to the spoil board, but I can't see how that would help, since the bow is towards the middle, and the mounting holes for the L-brackets to mount the spoil board are towards the ends. I also played with the V-Wheel that was giving me trouble, and I think I've got it figured out now, so if I can just get the darn thing square, I'll be ready to mount the belts and finish the electronics up. :) Can someone give me a little guidance on how to get the plates to square up?

bobt

Re: Squaring and V-Wheels

Post by bobt » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:00 am

Ok - just remove the bent plate and turn it around. This will place the bend to the outside. Then install the mounting clips and use them to force the frame square when you attach them to the spoil board from the outside.

Bob Teeter
"What Box???" ShapeOko #397

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:17 am

My own plates were slightly bowed as well --- I placed a rug on a low threshold (a strip of thin lumber, or something similar would work too) stepped heavily on one end, then placed my weight on the other end until it seemed straight. Checked it against the kitchen counter and repeated until it was as straight as I could manage.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:23 am

You can adjust at least 1/8" when you bolt the frame to the spoil board. You pretty much have to bolt it down anyway.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Althiels

Post by Althiels » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:43 pm

I just got through squaring mine up last night and think I stumbled onto an important point that might help others.

I had tightened the end brackets onto the gantry tightly, squaring the top of the bracket to the top of the makerslide as the directions said to. When I put the gantry onto the side rails and attached the end plates, I could not get it to slide back and forth freely, there was some friction. When I really got into it, I found the gantry plates were twisted slightly relative to each other causing torque. This was seen by the top v-wheel contacting the beam in the front and the bottom V-wheel contacting on the back. (on the same side/bracket, hopefully this makes sense) I found that when I loosed the bolts connecting the end brackets to the gantry crossbeam, the torque in the gantry released allowing the v-wheels to self align/settle and the gantry to move back and forth freely.
Serial #: 1295, DW660 Router, TinyG controller, Dual Y Motors, ACME Z-Axis - First Cut - 2/19/2013

ProtonStorm

Post by ProtonStorm » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:48 am

So after puzzling it out for a bit, I managed to get it square. I ended up using a long woodworking clamp to help pull the plates straight and square, then sliding things back and forth and tightening the bolts down gradually until the out of square was down as far as I could get it, then driving the screws into the spoil board for the l-brackets and tightening everything up. The clamp held everything square until all the bolts and screws were tight. I'm hoping the process won't be as involved when I have to change the spoil board, but since I substituted a much thicker piece of MDF for the one that came in my kit, hopefully, I won't have to worry about that for awhile. I just tested my electronics tonight, so I just need to do a few final things and I should be able to run my hello world! :D Thanks for the guidance, I probably wouldn't have made it this far without it!

jubei

Post by jubei » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:05 pm

ProtonStorm wrote:Even when the spacer is all the way loose, if I turn the V-Wheel on it, the carriage will move, in other words, it doesn't freewheel.
I had the same issue confusing me for a long time. There was nothing wrong with the wheels or plates. In my case it was the paint job ghost. I had to drill out the paint from all holes, including the ones for eccentric spacers. What I did not do, was to remove all paint around the hole, where the eccentric spacer presses. Turns out that on two of the holes, there was asymmetric paint residue which tilted the whole wheel assembly when I tightened the bolt. It worked perfectly when tightened all but the last half turn, but not when fully tightened. Very confusing. Cleaned it out, and there is no problem at all.