Rubber Cement Hold-down Assist

oldrayj

Rubber Cement Hold-down Assist

Post by oldrayj » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:15 pm

After reading the complaints about spray adhesives, double sided tape, etc., I experimented with using rubber cement. I applied a coat of Elmer's rubber cement to backside of small one inch thick piece of walnut. It was then firmly clamped it to a 1/4 inch piece of MDF. I left the assembly under pressure for about six hours. The MDF was easily mounted on the Shapeoko base leaving the milling surface well above the hold-down clamps.
Mounting1.png
Mounting1.png (403.17 KiB) Viewed 2520 times
I ran the small job shown, cutting down to one mm in three passes. It didn't budge.

Separation was easy with a wide bladed putty knife. The residue on the backside of the piece was easily removed with solvent and a light sanding. Likewise, the piece of MDF was recoverable.

It remains to be seen if the method will withstand the force of larger cutters (adhesion can be increased by coating both the board and work piece with a thin layer of rubber cement). No guarantees…use at your own risk.

smittles2003

Re: Rubber Cement Hold-down Assist

Post by smittles2003 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:16 am

That looks really good! And a good idea to boot--don't have my shapeoko yet, but once I get my tax return and get it in the mail, I may look at something like this! Thanks for sharing