Further idiot-proofing of build wiki

mmmmmick2011

Further idiot-proofing of build wiki

Post by mmmmmick2011 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:11 pm

Recognising, and admitting that I am an idiot, I believe there is an opportunity to further idiot-proof the build wiki at Assembly Step 14, Connecting Stepper section. I believe this will significantly reduce rework and frustration (albeit only for idiots like me) in trying to troubleshoot intermittent problems. Let me explain....
When I was connecting the X,Y and Z axes wires to the Stepper Shield, I noticed that the little nuts in the connectors went up and down as I screwed the bolts; I placed the wires UNDER the nuts and screwed the bolts counter-clockwise, thus trapping the wires between the nuts and the circuit board. I remember wondering why the heck I was having to screw it counter-clockwise to snug it, but thought nothing of it. Needless to say, this idiotic maneouvre cost me many hours of intermittent connection problems with all the axes, not to mention the troubleshooting pains! I even chose to tin the wires with solder, so that the nut would make better contact with the wire. But eventually I figured out that it "works better" if I trap the wire between the nut and the bolt, and all my intermittent problems disappeared!
Having referred to the diagram in the wiki, it was not possible to determine exactly where to trap the wire in the connector.
So...... to idiot proof this, I believe it might be worth adding some words in that section that the wire should be trapped ABOVE the nut.
I leave it up to the powers that be to decide whether or not this is a worthwhile addition.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Further idiot-proofing of build wiki

Post by WillAdams » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:29 pm

That's a good point --- like yourself, I tried it both ways (but was ``fortunate'' to have a wire spring loose when I re-arranged things before powering on which prompted me to re-arrange them as you describe).

I added the text: '''Note:''' It is best to insert the wire on top of the nuts as opposed to beneath --- this makes for an all metal-to-metal connection. w/ a link back to this discussion.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

mmmmmick2011

Re: Further idiot-proofing of build wiki

Post by mmmmmick2011 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:59 pm

Thanks very much for adding this to the wiki.