Mechanical Kit + my electronics

kerrycorcoran

Mechanical Kit + my electronics

Post by kerrycorcoran » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:15 am

I am interested in purchasing the Mechanical Kit; 25143-04.

I currently have this electronics kit: http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.co ... in-48v7-3a

Would this configuration work without having to make any modifications?

Thanks,
Kerry

jasonharper

Re: Mechanical Kit + my electronics

Post by jasonharper » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:00 am

Those motors have 1/4" shafts; the Shapeoko normally uses motors with 5mm shafts. You would at the very least need to replace the X/Y axis pulleys, and the Z axis shaft coupler - around $16 of parts I think.

The electronics appear to require a PC with a parallel port, which may or may not be a problem for you.
ShapeOko #1743F, double X axis, 5mm Y drive shaft, DW660 spindle

northbear

Post by northbear » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:10 am

Are you planning to do some major upgrades in the future? That electronics kit (381oz in) looks like massive overkill for the standard ShapeOKO.
My buildlog is here

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:40 am

Those motors weigh 1 kg each! That's about as much load as the plastic V-wheels can reasonably be expected to take, and that's just sitting there, not moving, and without a spindle. They'll tear the ship -- erm, sorry, machine -- apart!
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

kerrycorcoran

Post by kerrycorcoran » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:03 am

I appreciate the quick feedback!!

I went ahead and purchased the Full Kit. Figured I'd just build the stock configuration and then upgrade from there. The primary use (intended) for the Shapeoko is to cut fan fold styrofoam for RC models. I assume the stock motors can easily handle that?

I know I will need to extend my Y Axis - assume with more travel (along Y) I would require another motor; dual Y?

Apologize if I am rambling, but I am anxious to get my parts!! :)

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:18 am

For foam, no need for Dual Y, though I would recommend a driveshaft --- this is easier if one does Dual Makerslide as well, see the wiki.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:22 am

In my experience, if you care about sub-millimeter precision, you do need some form of dual-drive even if all you do is mill air.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:54 am

cvoinescu wrote:In my experience, if you care about sub-millimeter precision, you do need some form of dual-drive even if all you do is mill air.
Agreed. Getting the driveshaft up and running was a huge improvement, a sea change in the precision of my machine --- I really think it should be a default (and if it were, a dual-drive kit would be nothing but a motor, 4 bolts, and 4 washers and the only parts left over would be a bearing, coupler and driveshaft)

Most cost-efficient upgrades:

- buy all metal spacers (I think 1 10-pk. 1/4", 1 10-pack of 1", 1 pack of 3/4" and 4 x 2" would suffice)
- extend Y-axis w/ longer Makerslide (I used 1m)
- re-use 1 pc. of Makerslide for Dual X-axis
- buy wheels, &c. for dual Makerslide
- some sort of dual-drive (I used a bearing, coupler and driveshaft along w/ the common parts of belting, pulley and belt anchors)
- Acme Z-axis (this is lowest priority, though it is _really_ nice, but might be necessary if one is unlucky in the luck of the draw on one's threaded rod and nut)

only have 1 length of Makerslide (and maybe the threaded Z-axis parts) left over.

This is a fairly common configuration, see the forums.

When I was cutting foam, the biggest problem was stringing and foam getting wrapped around the bit and melting --- I'd like to see a good set of speeds and feeds for it (and all the other materials the ShapeOko can cut).
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

kerrycorcoran

Post by kerrycorcoran » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:11 pm

Once the stock build is complete I'll be revisiting this page to see my options. ;)

Of the stock configuration, what is the maximum thickness of MDF it would cut?

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:08 pm

In theory. one could cut for the entirety of one's Z-axis travel (in suitably short cut depth increments) --- practically, one is limited by:

- machine, bit and spindle geometry --- can't go too far straight down w/o running out of cutting surface on the bit, or into the collet or other machine parts
- angular deflection 'cause of increasing leverage as one extends the bit.

half inch to an inch should be easy
inch or two maybe tricky, but doable
two or three inches maybe pushing it, certainly severely limited by geometry
three or more inches may see too much angular deflection to be worth it