Help me identify the problem! [Solved :Defective GBRLshield]

bjbsquared
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:48 am

Re: Help me identify the problem!

Post by bjbsquared » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:52 pm

Another thing to check is the motor power supply. It might be giving up for some reason.
#1016 - 1M x 1M Y: Dual Motor Drive w/Looped Belts, X:Dual Rail with wlanfox blocks, Z: Stock, Spindle:DW660

Bluemetal
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:03 pm

Re: Help me identify the problem!

Post by Bluemetal » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:35 pm

bjbsquared wrote:Another thing to check is the motor power supply. It might be giving up for some reason.
I have checked all the voltages and 0.7V seems to be the sweet spot for X and Y (nema 23). Z on the other hand is having some issues. I set Vref to 1.5V after trying many different ones. It is very clear to see what a thermal failure looks like - the motor kind of winds down and stops - not like the previous problems.

I have modified my GBRLshied with the Shapeoko mod (1/2 step instead of 1/8) and everything seems to work well at the Gcodesender command prompt as you can see in the first part of the video.



It moves solidly and firmly (the sound of the X-axis could be as nice as the Y but that can be worked later). Then I try to run a CamBam file (the same mentioned previously in this thread) with a plunge speed of 500 mm/min. The same happened with 400, 200 and 100 with slightly differences in the " whining" but basically the same problem.

I have tried pushing the Vref up but there is no marked improvement until the thermal shutdown kicks in. This is almost like an old car, you fix one noise and then you hear the next. :)

I have ordered a GRBLshield V4 with the Shapeoko Mod and will check if the board is doing it.

There seems to be a lot of related information here http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2011 that I will also try next weekend to sort the Z-axis.
Proud owner of original Kickstarter Shapeoko #8 - still has original steppers, some end plates and screws but now looks like a Shapeoko 3.:)

Bluemetal
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:03 pm

Defective GBRLshield

Post by Bluemetal » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:18 pm

It turns out the GBRLshield (V3) that came with the kit had some fault in it (not fatal so it would still run, but serious enough to prevent it from performing correctly).

Replacing it with a new GBRLshield V4 and using the same exact settings as the previous one and same gcode, worked instantly (no whining and no lost steps). The motors got very hot but did not fail. Some small adjustment to the current and they were much cooler.

While arranging things around, the communication would break after a single motion command. $$ worked fine but z10 would move then break. Clearly cable placement issue. After that I changed the USB cable to one that had ferrite cores on both ends and separated communication from power for good measure.

Run a 8 hour job on ( spindle running on wood and all) without any problems what so ever. Now I need to get proper bits and some vacuum setup! :D

Thank you all for the great suggestions and help (it must solved some issues that were there too).
Proud owner of original Kickstarter Shapeoko #8 - still has original steppers, some end plates and screws but now looks like a Shapeoko 3.:)

Post Reply