Minimum Footprint Dust Shoe

oldrayj

Minimum Footprint Dust Shoe

Post by oldrayj » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:52 pm

Like many folks, one of my first projects after getting the machine up and running is to build and install a dust collection system. While dust shoes that have a vacuum attachment on the front of the spindle are not issue for those that have an extended bed, they gobble up a considerable amount if the available Y axes travel for a standard BOM machine. If you have Dewalt 660 installed, you've already lost ground. So, my objective was to build a minimum footprint dust shoe.

Shown below is my first cut at a prototype that comes close to filling the bill.
Dust Shoe 3.png
Dust Shoe 3.png (398.75 KiB) Viewed 3017 times
The four tubes, made of 1/2 inch PVC, attach to the dust shoe via rings that contain magnets. Each ring has four 1/8 X 1/4 inch magnets and, of course, matching sets are embedded in the dust shoe. The attachment is rock solid. Thanks IC for introducing the magnet hold concept.
Dust Shoe 2.png
Dust Shoe 2.png (376.52 KiB) Viewed 3017 times
The four tubes feed into a chamber (temporarily using a food container I stole from my wife). For the prototype test, the pipe attachments are jury rigged with tape and c-clamps.

The shoe height can be easily adjusted with setscrews.

I was very pleased with the test results. After 20 minutes of milling HDPE, debris collection was close to 99 percent even with my puny shop vac that has about seen better days. Other small tests were conducted with equally good results.

On the dust shoe, I used a double row of craft foam since the stuff I bought from Amazon seemed a little thin.

I have also made new spindle mounts that will attach to brackets that I now have installed. The mounts are a "two piece" design, as are the brackets, which will facilitate installation and spindle change-out.
Dust Shoe 1.png
Dust Shoe 1.png (488.43 KiB) Viewed 3017 times
One other note, I have good visibility of the tool and cutting action.

I'm going to finalize the installation in conjunction with extending the X axis with open rail. I've been waiting for the new motor plates that I finally received this week. Now Openbuild is out of metal V-wheels!

The final installation will include the new spindle mounts, permanently gluing the tubes to the chamber and possibly a new smaller chamber made from acrylic. By the way, what is the best glue for bonding acrylic? Thanks.

Improbable Construct

Re: Minimum Footprint Dust Shoe

Post by Improbable Construct » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:30 pm

I use this stuff to glue acrylic and some other plastics.
http://www.amazon.com/IPS-Weldon-Acryli ... 003HNJEY0/
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct

oldrayj

Re: Minimum Footprint Dust Shoe

Post by oldrayj » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:59 am

Thanks. I ordered some (looks like amazon has the best price in town). I noticed in some of your posts that you suggested using acetate to smooth out fuzzies left on milled plastic surfaces. I've been using nail polish remover which doesn't work well. What variety of acetate do you use. Thanks.