Shapeoko 2 - Z-Axis - Wave Disc - left or right ?

bmsleight

Shapeoko 2 - Z-Axis - Wave Disc - left or right ?

Post by bmsleight » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:57 pm

Sorry for all the questions.

http://docs.shapeoko.com/zaxis.html
Z-Axis Rail Assembly (PS20028)
PS20017 Wave Disc Spring, .901"ID, 1.159" OD, .013" thickness (please note that this is not shown in the diagram, it is placed on top of the flanged bearing)
Assemble this from the inside out, starting with the smallest pieces.
4. place the Wave Disc Spring (#15, not shown in the diagram) onto the flanged bearing (#4)
In relation to the flanged bearing (#4), is the Wave Disc Spring (#15) nearer to Rail MakerSlide Extrusion (#1) or nearer to Flexible Coupler (#2) ?
i.e. left or right of the flanged bearing (#4) in this diagram ?
http://docs.shapeoko.com/content/tPictu ... 028_16.png

Regards,
Brendan

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Shapeoko 2 - Z-Axis - Wave Disc - left or right ?

Post by WillAdams » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:06 am

To the right.

No problem 'bout the questions. My apologies things weren't perfectly clear.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:06 pm

Oh yes, that step. It took me almost as much work as the rest of the images combined to make this one clear and easy to visualize. I wasn't having much success, when my better half walked in, looked briefly at what I was doing, and said off-handedly that it would look better with colored lines. That improved it a lot.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

will1384

Post by will1384 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:30 pm

cvoinescu wrote:Oh yes, that step. It took me almost as much work as the rest of the images combined to make this one clear and easy to visualize. I wasn't having much success, when my better half walked in, looked briefly at what I was doing, and said off-handedly that it would look better with colored lines. That improved it a lot.
I assembled the "Z-Axis Rail Assembly" last night, two things I found troubling, one is there was no "Nylon Spacer" for one of the "M3 x 12mm, SHCS screws" not sure why it was not used, the other is that I can not tighten up the "M3 x 12mm, SHCS screws" enough to close the gap between the "Nylon Spacers" and the "Z-Axis Motor Mount Plates" its so tight now it feels like any tighter and it will strip threads on the "M3 x 12mm, SHCS screws", it must be the "Wave Disc Spring" but I thought it would have flattened out more, the space between the "Nylon Spacers" and the "Z-Axis Motor Mount Plates" is enough that I could have easily doubled the amount of "Nylon Spacers" used and there might still be a little space let over.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:38 pm

Even if it's not shown in the diagram please use even spacers all around.

If your M3 hardware is bottoming out add M3 washers to make up the space.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

will1384

Post by will1384 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:21 pm

WillAdams wrote:Even if it's not shown in the diagram please use even spacers all around.

If your M3 hardware is bottoming out add M3 washers to make up the space.
Yep I read the instructions wrong, thanks.
PS20016 5mm x 10mm x 1mm thick, Nylon Spacer x 4 pcs. (these are used for the M5 BHCS (#10. below) which hold the Z-Axis Motor Mount Plate to the MakerSlide)

PS20015 3mm x 8mm x 1mm thick, Nylon Spacer x 6 pcs. (these are used with the M3 SHCS (#12. below) which attach to the Brass Standoff spacers)