Possible Crooked Flange Bearing?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Possible Crooked Flange Bearing?

Post by WillAdams » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:18 am

Hopefully they'll respond next week --- you might be able to find a replacement locally in the mean while, but it'd probablyinvolve some running around.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:53 am

Tonight I got home from work with the the burn to get this sorted out. I marked, flipped and flopped the nuts as suggested. I could find no good solution there. I took the stepper assembly (with the 2 plates and flange bearing) and the 2 nuts to Ace tonight. I stood there in the grab a part isle for like a half hour trying this and that. I would then try these ideas with the Inventables nuts, and when I did, they would get AFU. So, I put them in my pocket and declared them as toast. I eventually settled down with 2 new M8 nuts with M8 washers sandwiched in between. When I got home I was able to then really lock down on them with the wrenches. There is a tiny bit of wobble, but no where near the silliness I was seeing last night. More, when I put the Z plate on the makerslide, it was close enough that the rod threaded right into the delrin nut. Sold! for a buck and change.

I have to say, I am so mixed with this kit. One hand side of me sees a great amount of quality. The steel bits are wonderful and strong. The wrenches seem pretty good. The the flip side are these kinds of things like the lopsided nuts. The hex 'allen' wrenches are dang near useless. I have switched to my own as I am scared to death of stripping something out with the kit ones. The tap handle that came with the kit was worthless (would not hold the tap without slipping at the least amount of resistance. Had to use my harbor freight tap handle.
Shapeoko 2 # 3569 - DW660
Current tool chain > Draftsight > CamBam > ChiliPeppr
Build log

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:55 pm

Glad you got it.

I didn't get the set of tools w/ my kit (hence my making a cigar box tool kit to accommodate things), so can't comment on that --- I'm a big believer in good quality tools though, and was fortunate to inherit a fair collection of nice tools from my father.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

will1384

Post by will1384 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:45 am

This is what my Z-Axis is doing, small 1mb video, hosted on Google Picasa.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113484813 ... 5408325218

I tried using some washers, did not help any, I might get some new M8 nuts and washers and try again.

jacob32123

Post by jacob32123 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:38 pm

I was able to fix mine with parts from Ace. It was the nuts.

chomdh

Post by chomdh » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:36 am

I'm just now to this part of the assembly. Had to stop to tap the makerslide.
Sounds like I need 2 m8 nuts and 2 m8 washers from the hardware store to solve the wobble problem, is that correct?
Did you all use low profile nuts similar to what came in the shapeoko2 kit or standard thickness nuts?
Shapeoko2 #3702:
DW611, arduino uno, gshield v5, NEMA23's on X & dual Y, NEMA17 on Z with ACME rod, 9mm belts, Mean Well NES-350-24V power supply, re-inforced gantry rails.
Soon to have inventables spindle mount and 1M X axis.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:58 am

You need one or two M8 nuts which have decently straight threads. Washers may help since you can turn them and perhaps get things lined up straight-enough.

Low profile gives you more clearance and room to work.

will1384

Post by will1384 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:17 pm

I made another video of how bad the wobble was:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113484813 ... 9808079394

I replaced the nuts, and added washers, but no amount of changing the orientation of them helped, I then started looking for other solutions, I traced the problem back to the flexible coupler, at one point I had both nuts and washers removed and just the flexible coupler holding the M8 threaded rod, it still had the same wobble, and the wobble was dependent on how tight or lose the flexible coupler is on the M8 threaded rod, I was able to remove a lot by not tightening it down so tight, later I may try Teflon tape or something to add to the thickness of the threaded rod.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:07 pm

In that case, I wonder if the flexible coupler could be defective in some way --- perhaps one or both holes in it are off-center?

I really wish that we'd been able to use a motor w/ integrated Acme screw for the Z-axis....

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:32 am

When I went to ACE, I took the rod and assembly with me so I could mix and match till I found something that worked. It did not take long. The ones I chose were from the little slide out shelves (no the main stock stuff). It was in a box with only M5 and M6 nuts.

@ Chomdh, I used standard height nuts. It made grabbing with the wrenches easier die to the extra height.

Will1384, yeah that thing is wobbling arounf. If you look in my my build log, in the gantry video you can see where my was wobbling. It was pretty significant. I did not go any farther with the build until that was sorted out as I did not want to have a major disassembly to fix it. Aside from the frustration of not being able to go any farther that night, it was an easy and immediate fix.
Shapeoko 2 # 3569 - DW660
Current tool chain > Draftsight > CamBam > ChiliPeppr
Build log