Z-travel on Shapeoko 2

tra

Re: Z-travel on Shapeoko 2

Post by tra » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:17 pm

My questions are:

How much travel should we be getting with the stock spindle?

Does upgrading the z-axis (which changes to a different flanged bearing plate) solve the problem?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:51 am

It's not the spindle so much as the spindle mounts.

You should get ~2.5" w/ the default mounts, but if you cut your own which move the spindle out a bit you should get ~3.5".
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

cmason

Post by cmason » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:49 am

I'm having similar issues, both with the Altocraft (stock) spindle and a Chinese one (see attached).

I'm considering milling a few aluminum blocks to fit under the stock "universal" spindle mounts to bring them out perhaps 10mm. Does anyone have a design for this that works? I've yet to mill aluminum.

-c
Attachments
shapeoko_600w_spindle.jpg
shapeoko_600w_spindle.jpg (34.33 KiB) Viewed 4843 times

lordmundi

Post by lordmundi » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:10 am

I am having the same issue with the Altocraft that came with the kit. I love my kit so far, but have been a bit disappointed with how the included spindle mounts and it hitting the top motor plate.

I'm also very interested if folks have some custom mounts or spacers that work with either the included spindle or a replacement one!

veng1

Post by veng1 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:56 pm

I'm also struggling with this problem.

I.C. made me some great spindle mounts that move the lead screw to the front side of the plate and allow the spacers on the V-wheels to be eliminated. This exacerbates the problem with the spindle clearance.

I see two solutions, neither quick and easy:

Use a longer threaded rod and Makerslide so the motor is further above the spindle.
Or
Move the motor to the backside of the Makerslide, make a much smaller bearing mount and run the screw and motor with pulleys.

I think I favor the first and would suggest it to Improbable Construct as another upgrade.

lordmundi

Post by lordmundi » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:01 pm

couldn't we just make some mounts that shift the spindle a little further forward so that it would clear that motor mount?

That's what I have been pondering, but another part of me thinks if I am going to invest energy in making mounts, perhaps I should do it for a better spindle then the Altocraft (mine is really... well... subpar).

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:08 pm

lordmundi wrote:couldn't we just make some mounts that shift the spindle a little further forward so that it would clear that motor mount?
Yes, that's the best option.

I sympathise w/ wanting a better spindle --- I've been quite pleased w/ the Harbor Freight 1/4" Trim Router I picked up: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 824#p18386

Still need to actually put it to use (the mounts were cut w/ my Dremel 4000 and Kbot3D dust attachment), but the one test cut was quite promising.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

Threefer

Post by Threefer » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:56 pm

Gadgetman! wrote:The problem is the standoffs used to support the Z-axis motor.

Theoretically, if you could drill a hole for it between the two screws holding the mounting plate to the Z-axis makerslide and move the problematic standoff to that position, you should be able to remove a part of the plate and get enough clearance.
This is what I did to get enough clearance for my new Makita RT0701. You have to drill an oversized hole in the Z plate spacer to allow the head of the bolt that goes into the standoff to be able to slide back and forth so the drive screw can still be aligned with the lead nut. I trimmed off the front of both Z mount plates up to the edge of the wavy spring washer. With this setup I can have 3 inches of tool stick out and still clear a piece of 3 inch stock, and also have the tool reach to the bed. The top of the router almost touches the bottom of the Z stepper motor at the highest point of the allowed travel. That is a 1\4" drill in the last picture just to show amount of stick out possible.

ImageImageImage

New oversized hole for standoff bolt head to fit losely through.

ImageImageImage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Last edited by Threefer on Sat May 31, 2014 4:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
---------------------------------------------------
Shapeoko# 3456, Makita RT0701c. Stock size for now but have 13"x13" travel by trimming down belt clamps and lip on smooth idler. Dovetailed wooden track clamping setup. Dust shoe in works.

RonSound

Post by RonSound » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:54 pm

I just finished bringing the stock Altocraft on my S2 out with a couple of 5/8" aluminum blocks and some 30mm M5 screws. Now the spindle has plenty of travel and I'm looking forward to using it.

Just need to figure out what to use to keep the lower end of the spindle vertical. Should've got a bigger block and screws for the bottom.
Stock Shapeoko 2

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:27 pm

RonSound wrote:Just need to figure out what to use to keep the lower end of the spindle vertical.
I just put a zip tie around the bottom of my spindle --- seemed to make up the difference in the diameter betwixt top and bottom fine.