Stepper motors vibrating

PaulKruger

[SOLVED]: Stepper motors vibrating

Post by PaulKruger » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:03 pm

Found the problem. As with most, it can be attributed to not paying attention. ( not pointing fingers of course, but no one else was around )

[[ Remember the saying, "We found the enemy and it is us" ]]

I made a mod as I built using parallel connectors and cables and an old printer A/B switch box for the Arduino. In the process I managed to skip a pin when soldering and was off by one, leaving one servo wire unconnected. It appears that also had a negative effect on the other axis because when I resolved that wiring error both problems went away.

I was then able to run the script to have the machine use a ball point pen to write SHAPEOKO 2 ! :D

Now on to learn to do something sorta-useful.

In case anyone is interested in seeing how I did my wiring visit my page for photos. This allows me to move the Arduino next to the computer by selecting an appropriate length parallel cable, of which I have hoarded many over the years.

http://paulckruger.com/cnc-machines.html
Old fart with more ideas than are useful. CNC Newbie, be gentle.

* Shapeoko 2
* PrintrBot
* Aprox 2.38 tons of tools
* Sears Tractor being modified as a woods buggy
* Bunch of lasers
-------------------------------------
http://www.paulckruger.com

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Stepper motors vibrating

Post by WillAdams » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:23 pm

Very, very cool (using the printer cable to connect things).

It actually makes for an interesting idea --- connect one controller to multiple machines (or multiple controllers to a single machine) and use a A/B printer switch box (remember those?) to switch between them --- would that work, or would it be too electrically noisy?

I'm envisioning a near future where I want to be able to switch my Shapeoko 2 from the Arduino/gShield to an Azteeg X5 mini and back, so that's something I'll have to keep in mind if it's feasible.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

PaulKruger

Post by PaulKruger » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:37 pm

I don't think noise would be as much a problem for servos as it would have been for printers. Both "plot" and both typically used servos so what would work for a printer should work as well for CNC servos.

Short term I just like things that unplug when not used.

Long term, I may buy / build another machine and dedicate that one to a laser cutter application. One box for both so don't need to duplicate Arduino and Shield.

I don't have another AB switch but I don't really see the need when I can just switch a plug.

Nigel K Tolley

Post by Nigel K Tolley » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:10 pm

That might be a great idea for the hackspace to save some money on the homebrew machines members make. I even donated one of those switch boxes a while back.