shapeoko assembly

hoggy38

shapeoko assembly

Post by hoggy38 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:58 am

my name is john and I live in the uk this is my first post.........I am about to start assembly of my shapeoko 2 in the next day or so and any tip's on the assembly of part's and what to use as a electronics enclosure would be appreciated I am computer literate but not very knowledgeable on electronics' so any help would be appreciated ....thanks john

Gadgetman!

Re: shapeoko assembly

Post by Gadgetman! » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:52 am

Only three tips;

1. Take your time. Don't hurry the assembly.
(Mistakes takes longer to fix than doing it correctly the first time)

2. Get hold of Cable chains.
(Makes it look so much more professional. 10x15mm is the smallest that can practically be used, so unless you want to fight it, get wider chains. Sold in 1000mm lengths with endpieces. 2 sets are usually enough even for large machines.)

3. Either tin the ends of the stepper motor wires, or crimp on Ferrules.

The reason a 1000mm (1meter, or about 39 and something inches) is long enough for even large machines is that the chain on the Y-axis doesn't have to be mounted at a corner, but can be mounted near the midpoint. So it'll suffice for even a 6' Y-axis.
On long X-axis, though, you'll need additional links. (The chains can be taken apart link by link and reassembled in the length you need. If you foresee a really large mod later, it may be an idea to buy the extra lengths at the same time, so that you are certain to get the same model links.)

Tin or Ferrules. Not only does it look better(well, ferrules, at least), but they also sit tighter in screw terminals and provide a better electrical connection, but you awoid the 'stray' strands that may cause a short circuit.

All that can be easily sourced on The Bay of E.
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:28 pm

There's also ``What else should I have on hand?''

http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2325

which is stickied, but is under General Discussion.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:58 pm

Gadgetman! wrote:3. Either tin the ends of the stepper motor wires, or crimp on Ferrules.
Do not use solder on wires that go in screw terminals. It used to be considered a good idea until not long ago, but they've figured out that, long term, it's worse than bare copper strands.

Ferrules are great, though.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:11 pm

cvoinescu wrote: Do not use solder on wires that go in screw terminals. It used to be considered a good idea until not long ago, but they've figured out that, long term, it's worse than bare copper strands.

Ferrules are great, though.
*citation needed*

I'm curious what makes it worse? Corrosion? Poor conductivity? High frequency issues (which probably don't apply to stepper motors)?
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:18 pm

Lengthy discussion on electronics.stackexchange:

http://electronics.stackexchange.com/qu ... inal-strip
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:16 pm

Interesting. Thanks for pointing that out.

I would think it is a larger issue for higher-current loads, but I'll probably pickup some ferrules and re-do the ends sometime.
Ender 3 3D Printer

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:56 pm

Well, dip me in Soy sauce...

Those arguments actually made sense.

Also, Ferrules looks professional, and there's less danger of accidental burns...
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:42 pm

So ferrules require a crimper.

Digikey sells the ferrules for reasonable prices, but the crimpers start at $400. That's a little out of my league.

McMaster-Carr also sells the ferrules at reasonable prices and has a crimper at about $65. That's better, but still a little spendy.

Does anyone have a line on an inexpensive crimper for ferrules?
Ender 3 3D Printer

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:46 pm

I am very happy with this six-leaf crimper. If you're happy with a four-leaf type, they're even cheaper. (And before you ask, of course it's not stainless steel. But it's pretty well made.)
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk