Mounting z-axis endstops

bjoerngiesler

Mounting z-axis endstops

Post by bjoerngiesler » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:22 pm

Hi all,

I have built my eShapeOko and it has drawn its "Hello World". So far so good. Now I am in the process of mounting the end stops / limit switches / homing switches. For X and Y, this is a snap because these axes have convenient mounting holes for the switches, but the Z axis confounds me. No idea where to put the switches or their counterparts. Does anyone have an example of how you have solved this?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Björn

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Mounting z-axis endstops

Post by WillAdams » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:33 pm

Previous discussion of this here: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... =609#p5051

Tim Foreman did come up with an elegant solution though: http://timf.anansi-web.com/wp/limit-swi ... -shapeoko/
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

criznach

Post by criznach » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:11 am

I don't have a picture handy, but I only have a top switch. I had a piece of 1/2 inch wide brass strip laying around but anything you can bend should work. I bent it in a slight Z shape so I have a segment the width of the side of the makerslide, a jog big enough to clear the rail, then a segment about an inch long with two mounting holes for the switch. Then I used a M3 screws to mount the switch, and a post-insertion nut and a 5mm screw to fasten it into the edge of the makerslide. It's very adjustable this way, and the spindle plate hits the switch at the top of it's travel.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:19 am

I designed a 3D printable mount for the Z switches. The hardware that came with the limit switches will work to attach them to the 3D printed bracket, and you'll need M5 screws (with washers and nuts) to bolt it to the motor plate, and M3 screws and T-slot insertion nuts to attach the pushers to the side of the Z rail. See attached file for SketchUp model and STL files.
Attachments
eShapeOko Z limit switch holder.zip
(75.3 KiB) Downloaded 355 times
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

bjoerngiesler

Post by bjoerngiesler » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:30 am

Guys,

AWESOME. Thank you very much. I'm slicing Catalin's model right now. (This should go into later versions of the kit ;-))