Z-Axis Rail Assembly (PS20028) -- CONFUSING!

jamesfloydkelly

Z-Axis Rail Assembly (PS20028) -- CONFUSING!

Post by jamesfloydkelly » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:27 pm

The instructions for the Z-Axis Rail Assembly (PS20028) are very confusing. Is there a larger exploded view that can be found?

Specifically, I'm having difficulty with the insertion of the threaded rod and all the components to connect it to the z motor. The diagram only shows one hex nut, but the instructions talk about two. It's also not clear whether the two hex nuts go on the same side of one of the z axis mount plates or on opposite sides. I've looked for some close-up photos and am coming up blank.

I"m a technical writer -- that's my job. I'm doing okay with what's provided here, but there are so many places for improvement. If someone has a more detailed explanation of this assembly and the proper order of parts, I'm all ears.

(Sorry for the frustration that's probably obvious in my message -- just want to build this thing and keep hitting roadblock such as missing parts or instructions that aren't clear to me.)

Jim

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Z-Axis Rail Assembly (PS20028) -- CONFUSING!

Post by WillAdams » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:44 pm

jamesfloydkelly wrote:The instructions for the Z-Axis Rail Assembly (PS20028) are very confusing. Is there a larger exploded view that can be found?
Yes, click on the 400x400 thumbnail to get the larger view:

http://docs.shapeoko.com/content/tPictu ... 028_16.png

(this is mentioned on the Pro Tips! page: http://docs.shapeoko.com/tips.html )

That page also mentions There are .pdf versions of the plans/diagrams on github. https://github.com/shapeoko/Shapeoko_2/ ... awings_PDF
jamesfloydkelly wrote:keep hitting roadblock such as missing parts or instructions that aren't clear to me.
The first page: http://docs.shapeoko.com/index.html notes:
Assembly Steps

The first thing to do is to compare what you have received w/ the inventory sheet included w/ your kit. For reference, there is also a b.o.m. (bill of materials) in the initial announcement Shapeoko 2 Now Available For Pre-order!. Please note that part specifications / sizes may change with different kit batches, especially for aspects which do not affect functionality and fit. If anything in your kit is missing or damaged, contact Inventables Customer Service: help@inventables.com.
So you should only have one instance of finding missing parts.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

jamesfloydkelly

Post by jamesfloydkelly » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:58 pm

Thanks for all this info, Will.

That said, the image does show one of the hex nuts but it's not labeled (only one is pointed out as #14) and is tucked into the plate and can be difficult to make out.

Not trying to be a pain here, but as I said... I'm a tech writer and having all this information scattered to the four corners of the Internet isn't great. The idea is for newbies (like me) to be able to build this thing from start to finish with just the text instructions and detailed images. That's the goal...doesn't have to be immediate, but should be something that Inventables is hopefully working towards.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:48 pm

jamesfloydkelly wrote: That said, the image does show one of the hex nuts but it's not labeled (only one is pointed out as #14) and is tucked into the plate and can be difficult to make out.
The image shows both of the jam/hex nuts --- the lower one is nested into the bottom plate, the upper one is called out as #14. Edward Ford did the images using the tool which he designs the machine with --- IME, labeling every last part results in a cluttered and even more confusing drawing than labeling a strategic selection. Feel free to print out a copy, label every last part and colour code things.
Not trying to be a pain here, but as I said... I'm a tech writer and having all this information scattered to the four corners of the Internet isn't great. The idea is for newbies (like me) to be able to build this thing from start to finish with just the text instructions and detailed images. That's the goal...doesn't have to be immediate, but should be something that Inventables is hopefully working towards.
You can review the github logs and wiki history to see who has committed what --- if you want you can register and fix everything --- I was told months ago that Inventables would be finishing up the Hello World page, so haven't done much w/ it.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:21 pm

That step is the most painful to draw, because so much has to happen at the same time. When I wrote the instructions for my machine, the image for that step took me almost as much time to get right as all the other images combined. I was looking at my best attempt but still wasn't happy, when my wife walked by and suggested, with the slightly bored but immensely patient tone women use with their husbands and three-year-old children, that colored guide lines would make the image clearer. They did.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:07 am

That was really funny. (Only because I know the tone too well.)
Shapeoko 2 # 3569 - DW660
Current tool chain > Draftsight > CamBam > ChiliPeppr
Build log

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:41 am

I'm not much of a thread crasher, but this seems like a good place for me to jump in.

Will alluded to this, about the documentation, but I'd like to clarify a few things.

The Shapeoko 2 documentation is not done by inventables. We (the community) have been responsible for those documents. And by we, I mostly mean Myself and Will. And by Myself and Will, I mostly mean Will. There isn't anyone at inventables, or outside of the shapeoko community (IMO) that could do a better job documenting (and helping support) the project than we can. That's not a knock on inventables, it's a compliment to our community.

Although given a guideline and a rough start to the v2 docs, Will basically took the task of documenting v2 and Ran with it. He's taken close to a 1,000 pictures to help support his words, and made something like 300 commits to github. Which, by comparison is 2x as many as I have made towards the docs, and 15x the next closes person. He's a perfectionist, and is constantly working on making things better. I shutter to think how many hours Will has put into this project since starting the docs in November.

Not only that, but Will has to learn a new system of documentation (that I was basically making up on the fly and changing a few times a day for the first week) and to top it off he had to put up with my overbearing nature and at times thanklessness. All of which, he's taken in stride.

As always, we are looking for help in any area that any member of the community would like to give us. We have a system worked out that makes it very straight forward to edit or add information to any portion of the documents for both v1 and v2 projects and are willing to help anyone get started if they'd like to give us a hand.

You know, after saying all of this, it dawned on me that I may have never told Will thank you for all the work he's done.

So Will; Thank you! I really appreciate everything you've done.

if you want to thank Will as well, please head over to this thread and give him a shout-out.

Regarding the topic at hand: We can get back to that now. I apologize for the interruption.

Cheers,
Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:16 pm

I guess this means that I should quite ignoring the Hello World page?

jamesfloydkelly

Post by jamesfloydkelly » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:45 pm

Will and Edward,

If my comments about the assembly instructions have been too negative, I apologize. I did not realize this was a community supported activity and have moved forward on the assumption that the company/person selling the Shapeoko 2 was providing these documents.

I've been taking photographs as I build, and I'm quite fine with providing copies of all my photos and notes when I'm done. I'll certainly make myself available to help with cleaning up the assembly instructions but I first need to actually finish my own and then go back and flag those areas where I got bogged down.

For something like the S2, I'd go so far as to say that a set of instructions should one day be created that includes photo of every step. Slip a washer on a bolt? Take a photo, label it Figure X, and write "Step 5. Insert washer onto bolt as shown in Figure X." The documentation would probably go to 300-400 pages, but as a digital PDF it wouldn't matter. I've done documentation on this level before for other companies (I write tech books for a living, started out writing instruction manuals). What's been made available here for the S2 is good. It's a start. I'll give FULL credit for an amazing level of detail for all the parts that are required for each assembly matching up to the small baggies -- that is AWESOME documentation. I just think there need to be more photos, more close-ups, and better quality exploded views embedded so builders don't have to leave the page.

Just my 2 cents.

Jim

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:34 pm

Hi Jim,

Afraid that I'd come off as passive aggressive (and indifferent towards the actual problem), I meant to reply with this last night right after I posted the comment about @will's awesomeness.

First, I'm sorry that you're having these problems. Inventables has been pretty fantastic in the two years that I've been dealing with them (distributing through them?.. is that a phrase?). They really pride themselves on customer support (they call it customer success!) and I'm sure it pains them quite a bit to have made these mistakes. The good news is that I'm confident they will do their best to rectify the situation and make sure that you're happy with the resolution.

Of course, that doesn't get you your parts today, but it might be worth something once the build is done. As a side note: I can also sympathize with you, there's nothing worse than being excited about building something, only to find out that you're missing parts to complete it.

Regarding this step specifically, it is confusing. As cat mentioned, it's a difficult assembly to detail. After giving it several passes, I ended up on the current exploded view, but I agree with everyone that it could be better, I'm just not sure what the best way to show it would be. I wonder if a video of the assembly would help? Or, an animated render showing the assembly 'un-exploding'? Anyone have a thought on that?

Regarding the docs:
Yes, we definitely need more documentation to support our much loved project. As a former technical writer myself I have a level of expectation that's probably higher than most. But, I think up until this point we have done the best that we can do, given the resources, and have made a great first pass on the information that we're providing. There is always room for improvement.

If you're interested in helping us out (after you're done with your build) that would be great. You can contact myself or will directly and we'll get you up to speed.

Until then, I hope your parts arrive quickly, and the rest of your posts are about the awesome projects that you're making ;-)

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock