Mid span support question

awesomename

Mid span support question

Post by awesomename » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:17 am

I know this sounds stupid, but can someone show me a picture of how this mid span support attaches to something else for support? I am extending my Y axis to 1000mm. Can someone recommend what I should use to help keep it stiff? Should I just get two more makerslides @ 1000mm length?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Mid span support question

Post by WillAdams » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:21 am

The mid-span supports seem to be much more cost-effective than doubling-up the MakerSlide.

This shows the mid-span supports attached to the MakerSlide, and farther down, connected to the table structure: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2394
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

awesomename

Post by awesomename » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:21 am

From those pictures he is actually attaching it to a 20x20 extrusion. In my head I think it would just be easier to bolt up extra extrusions or makerslide.

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:03 am

It's true, the midspan supports bolt to a piece of extrusion running parallel with your makerslide.

If it's easier than bolting two extensions together is up for debate. There isn't a bracket to use for that purpose, so you would have to manually drill/ screw then together. If that's something you're comfortable with, then it's probably a push.

sent from my phone, using tapatalk
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

RobCee

Post by RobCee » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:41 am

I found it very helpful to have a 20x20 extrusion at the base of the machine. Two pairs of angle brackets allow you to create a rigid frame for everything to sit on which also lets you to attach your mid span support.
Anything that increases the rigidity will help you.

Bolting MakerSlide (or other extrusions) together is a bit of a pain, I thought. These style of extrusions just don't have a 'quick and easy' parallel fixing mechanism, that I have found yet.
ShapeOko2 #3400 - Chinese 800W AC Spindle - Stiffened X-Axis - TR10 Z-Axis - Inverted Z Motor - Hall Effect Limits - Drag Chains & Custom Brackets