Delrin nuts too wide

JCPhlux

Delrin nuts too wide

Post by JCPhlux » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:21 am

moving some post to help anyone that may have the same issue.
edwardrford wrote:Here's the image I was talking about: Note the spacing on both sides of the delrin nut. I didn't center it before doing the rep. There should be a total of 5mm to spare on the inside width. But, like I said, some of them must have been cut at 40mm exactly, which would require you to trim off a couple mm from each side.

edwardrford wrote:as a side note (somewhat related): I had a heck of a time with those delrin nuts. First, they took forever to get the first batch in. Then that batch endedup having some issues like DrRob is referring to.

I switched vendors. All seemed well except some of the blocks were exactly 40mm wide (which doesn't quite work when the space is 40mm...). By the time I got the third order, they were ALL 40mm wide. So there must have been some miscommunication between me and the vendor.

I've seen the stuff coming from inventables and it's legit. I redrew the part and make notes of tolerances for width, threads, and spacings, along with material specs and a bunch of other details I had assumed could go without writing in the past. You know what they say about assuming?!

Hopefully all of these issues are behind us now :-)

Carry on,
Edward
--
John R Cutburth II
Twitter @JohnCutburth

nio

Re: Delrin nuts too wide

Post by nio » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:22 am

Anyone could upload a photo with a delrin nut modificationed?? i know i have cut 2mm aprox each side, but a pic always help :)

JCPhlux

RE: Delrin nuts too wide

Post by JCPhlux » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:02 pm

I don't think I took the full 2mm off of mine I just sanded it down till it fit.
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
--
John R Cutburth II
Twitter @JohnCutburth

nio

Post by nio » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:45 pm

When you say "sand it until it fits", you mean, you don't have some clearance between sides, like in the picture??

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:56 pm

That's right JCPhlux, you definitely don't have to take off 2.5mm from each side. You only need to take off enough so the nut fits between the rails on the Makerslide.

As a 'hacky' way to do it, I just clamped a nut into a vice and took a small handsaw to each side. They don't have to be even, because the holes keep the spacing, not the width of the block. Does that make sense?

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

JCPhlux

Post by JCPhlux » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:18 pm

nio wrote:When you say "sand it until it fits", you mean, you don't have some clearance between sides, like in the picture??
Correct Like Edward said in his quoted post "some of them must have been cut at 40mm exactly" well that was mine fore sure. It was a very easy fix once I realized it was an issue. I might have spent too much time on it because I am having fun tweaking things while I am working on my software for my Netduino and getting my Stepper drivers working.

My steps
  • Tape off the amount to grind off each side
  • With a rough grinder take off most of the materials
  • With a smooth grinding wheel take off the last bit of material and make it smoother.
--
John R Cutburth II
Twitter @JohnCutburth

DrRob

Post by DrRob » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:33 pm

edwardrford wrote:As a 'hacky' way to do it, I just clamped a nut into a vice and took a small handsaw to each side.
Surely you should use a hacksaw for a 'hacky' task...?

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:39 pm

Well played Sir. Well played!
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

Improbable Construct

Post by Improbable Construct » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:49 pm

I think the most important thing here is to make sure you take enough off the sides of the delrin nut so that it doesn't stop the makerslide from seating into the V wheels. This was my problem. I sanded just enough off the delrin to get it to fit between the rails. This caused it to bind when I tried to tension the eccentric nuts. Now with the gaps on the sides of the delrin nut everything tensions and moves freely as it should.
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct

jsbannis

Post by jsbannis » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:57 pm

Glad I'm not the only person this happened to, I thought mine was a fluke. I also did the "just sand it until it fits" method. Delrin responds to sand paper as though it were soft wood though, so it was a pretty easy task.
shapeoko #0057