The Tap kit doesn't work

phr0ze

The Tap kit doesn't work

Post by phr0ze » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:34 pm

The Tap kit doesn't work. I just got my shapeoko 2. I'm putting it together step by step but the TAP kit doesn't work. The Tap bit I got is too small for the handle. I have tightened it down till there is no gap in the 4 prongs and the tap will still spin.

My tap bit has 4 flat sides where it goes in the handle, while the one on the video seems round. I'm stuck and might have to get to the hardware store to buy a tap kit.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: The Tap kit doesn't work

Post by WillAdams » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:47 pm

First, tap handles are odd --- one end turns in one direction, the other in the other --- are you sure that you're turning it to tighten it at each end?

If so, please contact Inventables customer service (help@inventables.com) and see if they can help you.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:03 pm

First: Welcome to the community! I'm glad you're here. As with many Shapeoko owners, this is probably your first experience tapping something. Not a big deal at all!

It seems odd, but only the end of the tap with the flats (about 6-8mm) should be sitting inside the tap handle. The rest of the tap will be sticking out.

The four flats at the top of the tap are meant to be inserted into the end of the tap handle. You'll notice (with no tap in the handle) that if you grasp the knurled collar (the bumpy cylinder around the base of the tap) and turn the top of the tap (the t-handle), that the collar should be tightening up the tip of the tap handle (alliteration at it's finest!).

Looking at the end of the tap handle (where the tap is to be inserted) you'll see the inside profile should have 4 matching flats. Line those up with the flats on the tap, and then tighten the collar down. Sometimes, once I get it started, I take a pair of pliers (channel lock or vise grips) to get a good grip of the collar while I'm turning the T part of the handle. If you go that route, be careful not to overtighten! You can actually strip the collar off (trust me...)

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

Dewey

Post by Dewey » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:35 pm

I struggled with this same problem too. This is what I did.
Remove the collar entirely.
Push the square end of the tap into the hole of the tap holder. You may have to wiggle it, but you will feel it settle into the holder with some gentle pressure. If necessary, turn the tap handle upside down and rest on a flat surface (workbench). Then push the square corners of the tap into the handle. Once it is inserted, you will be able to rotate the tap handle and the tap will turn as well. At this point slide the collar back on and tighten it up. The tap should be locked onto the handle at this point. Do not tighten the collar too much. Just hand tighten and it should be fine.
It just takes a bit of gentle persuasion to get the tap to insert into the tap handle.
Hope that helps.
Dewey
Shapeoko 2 #4382 Codename: Beaver

phr0ze

Post by phr0ze » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:50 pm

edwardrford wrote:First: Welcome to the community! I'm glad you're here. As with many Shapeoko owners, this is probably your first experience tapping something. Not a big deal at all!

It seems odd, but only the end of the tap with the flats (about 6-8mm) should be sitting inside the tap handle. The rest of the tap will be sticking out.

Exactly how I have it.
edwardrford wrote:The four flats at the top of the tap are meant to be inserted into the end of the tap handle. You'll notice (with no tap in the handle) that if you grasp the knurled collar (the bumpy cylinder around the base of the tap) and turn the top of the tap (the t-handle), that the collar should be tightening up the tip of the tap handle (alliteration at it's finest!).
Yes, I've tightened it until it won't tighten any more.
edwardrford wrote:Looking at the end of the tap handle (where the tap is to be inserted) you'll see the inside profile should have 4 matching flats. Line those up with the flats on the tap, and then tighten the collar down. Sometimes, once I get it started, I take a pair of pliers (channel lock or vise grips) to get a good grip of the collar while I'm turning the T part of the handle. If you go that route, be careful not to overtighten! You can actually strip the collar off (trust me...)
The 4 matching flats are nowhere, and I mean absolutely nowhere, close to the same size. I haven't tried pliers but I did wrap a cloth around the knurled collar for better grip and tightened it with super strength :mrgreen: . I'll try pliers next which will give some leverage but I really think these two peices aren't sized for each other.

Dewey

Post by Dewey » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:28 pm

Phroze,
Would you be able to take a picture of you tap and tap holder?
Preferably with the square end of the tap up against the tap holder with the knurled collar removed.
Shapeoko 2 #4382 Codename: Beaver

bluecamel

Post by bluecamel » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:14 pm

I had the same issue. Luckily I had another tap handle, so I didn't even mess with the thing too long before chucking it in the parts bin. I know it's not the best solution, but Harbor Freight sells a cheap handle that works much better than the one in the kit, as do most auto parts stores.
Shapeoko 2 ..::.. DW660 with 3d printed mounts, HDPE version of IC's dust shoe

Nigel K Tolley

Post by Nigel K Tolley » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:28 pm

So basically, when the handle is fully tightened, the square hole for the end of the tap is far bigger than it should be?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:46 pm

I had the same situation with mine. I tried to use pliers to tighten it down, but it kept slipping when I would try to do the tap. I eventually found my harbor freight tap handle which did the trick.
Shapeoko 2 # 3569 - DW660
Current tool chain > Draftsight > CamBam > ChiliPeppr
Build log

phr0ze

Post by phr0ze » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:52 pm

Dewey wrote:Phroze,
Would you be able to take a picture of you tap and tap holder?
Preferably with the square end of the tap up against the tap holder with the knurled collar removed.

Yes I will tonight.