Really far off on the z, or is it wasteboard?

awesomename

Really far off on the z, or is it wasteboard?

Post by awesomename » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:32 pm

I can't seem to figure out what the actual problem is.

I have machined a few parts since doing my best to level the wasteboard to be square with the spindle. my larger (1/2in thick) parts clearly show that my spindle seems to be tipped 'forward' when cutting. I have also noticed when cutting some 2mm g10 last night that It left about .5mm of material on one side of a part that is only about 50mm long on the y axis. How can it be this far off in just 50mm?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Really far off on the z, or is it wasteboard?

Post by WillAdams » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:55 pm

As is noted in several places, the Altocraft stock spindle for the SO2 has two different diameters --- you need to shim the back of it against the universal spindle mount to get it plumb (also see positioning a spindle vertically on the wiki).

I just put a zip tie around the lower portion of the spindle.

Alternately, follow the plans for cutting a spindle mount out of HDPE.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

phr0ze

Post by phr0ze » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:19 pm

For those of us with 3d printers is the a file for a printed shim?

awesomename

Post by awesomename » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:27 pm

WillAdams wrote:As is noted in several places, the Altocraft stock spindle for the SO2 has two different diameters --- you need to shim the back of it against the universal spindle mount to get it plumb (also see positioning a spindle vertically on the wiki).

I just put a zip tie around the lower portion of the spindle.

Alternately, follow the plans for cutting a spindle mount out of HDPE.
I should have mentioned I am using a 3d printed mount and DNP611 spindle. I was trying to cut better mounts out of hdpe but they are a little too slanted to use..

RobCee

Post by RobCee » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:08 pm

You should be able to adjust the Z-Axis in both planes (left-right and front-back, or pitch and roll if you like).
One by loosening your spindle mounting brackets.
The other by loosening the bolts that mount the gantry MakerSlide to the carriage plates. There is room for a little twist on the X-Axis mountings.
ShapeOko2 #3400 - Chinese 800W AC Spindle - Stiffened X-Axis - TR10 Z-Axis - Inverted Z Motor - Hall Effect Limits - Drag Chains & Custom Brackets

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:50 pm

Another thing that works for an offset for the lower part of the spindle...
When you are cutting your GT2 pulley cables after you have tightened them down, many times, you will end up with a part you snip. I used a short length (about 3 inches) and wrapped it around the lower part of the spindle which allowed it to sit firmly against the universal spindle holder.
Shapeoko 2 # 3569 - DW660
Current tool chain > Draftsight > CamBam > ChiliPeppr
Build log

awesomename

Post by awesomename » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:34 am

Found the problem..Which I was already upgrading.

The 3/4in MDF wasteboard is warped /drooping almost 5mm in the center. its about 1.2mm just 100mm from each end of the machine. I have some 20x40 extrusions coming to build a better frame, as well as planning on building an aluminum slotted bed and bolting a 1/2in mdf wasteboard into that.

FWIW, my y axis is stretched to 1000mm.

I know people worry about droop and flex but i have two makerslide 1000mm bolted together on each side. For anyone going past 500mm, I would suggest a built up frame with supports in the middle/sides