Making a big Shapeoko 2 - Build thread

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Making a big Shapeoko 2 - Build thread

Post by WillAdams » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:35 pm

It's great if the end of the threaded rod doesn't wobble when you rotate things, but if it does wobble a bit, it will be held in sufficient constraint by the Delrin nut that things will be okay.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Signals

Post by Signals » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:17 pm

Okay, I think I figured out what I'm going to do.

My garage floor is not at all flat, which is to expected I guess!

So first I'm laying down a sheet of MDF and using large nuts and washers to level that as the initial "table" for the machine to sit on. Or I might just level the machine itself right on the concrete, which may be more ideal anyway. Not sure yet.

Then, I'm setting up the machine on that table, in a similar way to how the normal shapeoko is set up, with the piece of MDF spanning between the black aluminum extrusions - only in my case that gap is about 7 feet.

My plan to reinforce the machine is probably going to be a bit hard to follow without some diagrams, but I'll attempt it.

Parallel to those original black extrusions, I'm going to add 4 more black extrusions of equal length in between, also mounted to the MDF board via metal inserts and countersunk screws (the regular way).

Keep in mind the black extrusions are around 5 feet, and the MDF board is 4 feet, so the extrusion extends past the MDF both sides. Like how the original Shapeoko 2 the black extrusion extends out about an inch on each side, mine extend about 5 on each side.

Then I'm going to take L-brackets, and again using inserts, place the brackets on the additional black extrusion length coming out the sides of the wasteboard. The L-brackets will, once again using inserts haha, be connected to the 7' lengths of makerslide, also reinforcing the lengths of them.

Let me draw a diagram, this is way too confusing, haha.

K, so this would be from the top down, gantry not shown.

The light brown is the 4 foot by 6 foot MDF wasteboard.

Silver is silver extrusions (y-axis).

Black extrusions are... black extrusions... (x-axis).

The blue dots are where the L-brackets would be placed to reinforce the silver extrusion lengths.

Seems like a solid plan I think! I guess that's what I'll go with, anyone got any questions or comments? I figure it'll work out pretty well.

Would it even be worth bolting down the MDF to any black extrusions other than the ends? I'm not sure if it would make any difference for a number of reasons. Firstly, the 4 x 6 of 3/4 MDF is so heavy to begin with it is very unlikely to ever move.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:26 pm

I really think you're going to need more structure to start w/, further, I also think you'll regret bolting your machine to the MDF w/o having made an effort to make it more rigid --- my suggestion would be:

- follow through on your initial plan to level the MDF --- do this as exactingly as you have patience for
- build a torsion box frame on top of that w/ glue and fasteners
- add a thin sheet of plywood or something else on top to complete the torsion box, fastening it as the other layer is
- flip it over, lift it up on to something, then add legs (or attach it to the ceiling w/ chain on a pulley system so you can raise and lower it)
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Signals

Post by Signals » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:44 am

Hmmm, maybe I should make a diagram in 3D to make sure we're on the same page. It's difficult to explain all this stuff, haha.

I was just going to leave it on the floor for a while, and shim each black extrusion with washers/aluminum foil or something to level the whole thing.

Signals

Post by Signals » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:01 am

Also just did some tests. Z-axis coupler isn't gripping the stepper shaft, even when it's really cranked down.

Any opinions on the best fix for this? I think I heard aluminum foil works well or something.

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:33 am

That will work just fine as a wrapping material.

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

Signals

Post by Signals » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:44 pm

Hmm, I had to take the Z-axis apart and am having trouble getting it to go back together as well as it did! I'm certain that most of the Z-axis issues that people are having could be fixed through setup. I've set my z-axis up probably 10 times now and had everything from terrible 1/2 inch wobble to veeeeery slight wobble, and everything in between.

I noticed the delrin nut was a bit tight so I used a drill (as I've seen suggested on these forums a number of times, probably worth adding to the instructions) and ran the M8 rod through a bunch. A tiny amount of material came out and fixed the problem right up.

Did the wiring like this. 14 foot cables (so they're long enough for however I choose to route it, can trim them down to size later). Each little cable soldered & heat shrink wrapped, then the whole bundle heat shrink wrapped.

Also I used 18 gauge 4 conductor unshielded wire, and am experiencing no interference issues or anything of the like... probably should've got shielded just in case, but seems to not be an issue.

I'm ready to install drag chain, but I'm not really sure where/how I would mount it? Anyone know any way before I just start experimenting? I also want to get the Z-axis working properly so I can just build the drag chain and save some dolla billz.

X and Y axis work flawlessly. Will be interesting to see how much flex there is in the Y rails at 7 feet. My actual hunch is that it will be negligible even with no reinforcement, but we shall see.

I'd kill for an Acme Z-axis at this point, but it's sold out! Anyone want to make some money and sell me theirs? :)

Improbable Construct

Post by Improbable Construct » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:28 pm

Signals wrote:
X and Y axis work flawlessly. Will be interesting to see how much flex there is in the Y rails at 7 feet. My actual hunch is that it will be negligible even with no reinforcement, but we shall see.

I'd kill for an Acme Z-axis at this point, but it's sold out! Anyone want to make some money and sell me theirs? :)
I think you will be unhappy with the flex in the y axis rails at 7 feet. I was unhappy with it at 1200mm. Thats where the inspiration for the mid span supports came from.

The ACME upgrade for the Shapeoko 1 will work on the Shapeoko 2. It just uses a HDPE bottom bearing plate instead of the steel one.
Just add a note in the order and I will include the HDPE shim and M3 screws for the top bearing plate/motor mount.
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct

Signals

Post by Signals » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:00 pm

Awesome, will do!

I take it this is your site, right? :)

http://www.shapeoko.com/blog/upgrades

Edit: Just tried to order. I also tried the regular white color instead of black, same message.

"Your item(s) sold out
We're sorry, the following item(s) isn't available at this time:

ACME screw Z-axis upgrade
Item number: ACMEZ1B
Options: Item: ACME upgrade for …"

Feel free to put the order together and paypal request money from me at alex@signalsaudio.com ! Shipping will be to Canada. I'd prefer black, but it doesn't really matter, haha.

Interesting about the flex. I'm definitely going to be reinforcing every 1.2 feet or so regardless. It's going to take care of the bend in the large sheets of MDF as well as the flex in the Y-axis rails.

Cheers,

Alex

Improbable Construct

Post by Improbable Construct » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:52 pm

Signals wrote:Awesome, will do!

I take it this is your site, right? :)

http://www.shapeoko.com/blog/upgrades

thats the old site the new store is here:
http://shop.shapeoko.com/
Same stuff, better user experience. :)
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct