V-Wheel Issues

Kalagaraz

V-Wheel Issues

Post by Kalagaraz » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:32 pm

I've just started putting my carriages together and I'm having an issue with the V-wheels not wanting to rotate smoothly. I believe it's an issue with the V-wheel itself, because I can swap out with another one and it rotates freely. So far I've run into 2 troublesome V-wheels and just wondering if anyone else has had this issue?

The first one I had an issue with was just slightly harder to turn than the other 3 on the carriage, was kind of annoying me so I grabbed another and put on and it rotated just as smooth as others.

Started putting second carriage together and reused the V-wheel from earlier and same issue, was a little bit tighter to rotate than the others. Again I set it to the side and grabbed another and it worked fine.

Third carriage I grab a new V-wheel and put it on and it was "springy". I can rotate it a little bit with my hand and it will spring back to where it was. I'm rotating it around and it looks like it's "wobbling". I took it off and rolled it on table and the wobble is gone, only starts wobbling when tightened down. Not even a hard tight, just hand tightened nut and it will start looking wobbly and acting springy.

I made sure I put all the precision washers in when assembling the wheels, counted them out and made sure none was left over, and to my belief I have them pressed together best I can.

Anyways, that's my issue and it's annoying me >.< Anyone else ran into this?

EDIT:

I should probably add this is a Shapeoko 2 ordered just a few days ago.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: V-Wheel Issues

Post by WillAdams » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:10 pm

Either bad bearings or badly formed V-wheels. You could try swapping things around between the V-wheels and see if you can find a combination of parts which either resolves the problem, or minimizes it down to one bad wheel (the problem is two bad bearings). I can't think if anything else to try --- if someone else has a suggestion, it'd be welcome. I can't recall that this difficulty has come up before, but I may be missing or forgetting something.

Once you've narrowed it down to as few possible bad parts as you can contact Inventables and work out whether or no you need a replacement or see if they can resolve things somehow (after counting up the balance of your kit and ensuring that all other parts are accounted for and in good condition).
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Kalagaraz

Post by Kalagaraz » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:01 am

WillAdams wrote:Either bad bearings or badly formed V-wheels. You could try swapping things around between the V-wheels and see if you can find a combination of parts which either resolves the problem, or minimizes it down to one bad wheel (the problem is two bad bearings). I can't think if anything else to try --- if someone else has a suggestion, it'd be welcome. I can't recall that this difficulty has come up before, but I may be missing or forgetting something.

Once you've narrowed it down to as few possible bad parts as you can contact Inventables and work out whether or no you need a replacement or see if they can resolve things somehow (after counting up the balance of your kit and ensuring that all other parts are accounted for and in good condition).
After watching it a little more closely as I start to tighten the V-wheel down, what's happening is the bearing next to plate is starting to cock a bit. You'd think the washers would keep uniform pressure around bearing? If I can find some larger diameter washers i'll try that. I can pull V-wheel back off and I can hear a faint snap again as I push it back in.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:04 am

Try flipping the bearings around, also make sure the washers have the smooth side facing the bearings.

Not really sure what's happening here --- it may be that you're noticing something normal no one else did, or that you have bad bearings as I first thought.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:11 am

Check the Precision washer between the bearings?
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:36 am

Good point. There was one guy who decided they weren't precise enough and was offering replacements which one could stone down to the exact 1mm (or pay more and have him do it for you) --- links on the Parts page.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:30 am

I was able to get the company that made the washers for buildlog.net (where Edward got them from initially) to make a very precise washer for me. They are 1.00 mm (+0.01 mm -0.00 mm), which is pretty much perfect out of the box, no sanding or lapping required. You can read the old blog post; they're also in the store (but the store is closed until August 10 -- sorry about that).

However, I don't think the washer is the problem here. I'd check that the plate was flat, that the washers were okay. I'd take the V-wheel apart to check that the bearing was seated all the way in and that there was no debris between the outer race of the bearing and the lip inside the V-wheel, because that could cause the bearing to twist (and seize) as the bolt was tightened. Sometimes, a bearing will get two rubber shields on one face by accident -- check for that too.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

estone

Post by estone » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:40 pm

I'm having the same problem.

3 of my v wheels seem to rotate at a skewed angle.
I've disassembled a good v wheel and a bad one, and the delrin wheel seems to be the culprit as swapping the good bearings into the bad wheel produced bad results.

Did you ever resolve the issue?

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:54 pm

If you've got a part which when swapped w/ a good part in an assembly then exhibits the same difficulties as it did originally it's a bad / defective one and you should be able to get it replaced.

Count up the rest of your kit and examine everything else as carefully as you can, the contact the vendor to arrange for a replacement.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:08 pm

estone wrote:3 of my v wheels seem to rotate at a skewed angle.
I've disassembled a good v wheel and a bad one, and the delrin wheel seems to be the culprit as swapping the good bearings into the bad wheel produced bad results.
Maybe the bearings aren't seated properly inside the V-wheels. Check for debris inside, and check that the bearing is in straight and all the way. The assembly should be exactly 11 mm thick; if it's more than that, the bearings aren't seated properly.

It seems unlikely that three V-wheels in one kit are bad. I sold thousands of V-wheels, and the few complains I had were about bad bearings, or imprecise "precision" washers, not bad V-wheels (and I found reliable bearings and had precise washers made since then). Inventables probably sold around 200,000 of them, and I don't remember seeing any complaint on the forum. Still, it's not impossible.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk