My end plates seem pretty out of whack ...

tioJim

My end plates seem pretty out of whack ...

Post by tioJim » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:33 pm

Hello

Mechanical build was going well until I went to mount my end plates with the MakerSlides. Basically the mounting slots are too close together. So looking at the MakerSlides through the slots of the end plates I'm seeing this

( o) (o )

or this

( o ) (o )

Where I'd hope to see

( o ) ( o )

Does that make sense?

My M5 bolts have to be really forced through the slots anyway - even after removing all the paint - and the tight clearance between the end plate and the tapped hole is forcing the bolts in at an angle so they won't catch the tapped thread properly. The holes are tapped fine, I can get bolts in easily when there is no obstruction. Even if I'd screwed up the tapping of the holes I don't believe they'd take them significantly off centre.

I've had to drill out the corners of the top slots with a 6 mm bit to be able to get the frame together at all but obviously this is really unsatisfactory and doesn't give me 6 mm across the full width of the slot for adjustment. The gantry will move but it's pretty stiff.

I'm kind of really disappointed to be honest ... I think it's a given that there will be lots of inexperienced people building this thing but to think the parts start out inaccurate even before I get my clumsy mitts on them is worrying!

Has anybody else run into this problem. Is there anything I can do to confirm or otherwise the end plates I have? Would it be possible to get a couple of replacements? I don't mind paying. I just feel like I've spoilt my end plates now but it wasn't really my fault! :(

(Sound of violins ;) )

Unless the tapping of the holes can take them significantly off centre if done poorly? (Although I think I did them well!)

ZachKaplan

Re: My end plates seem pretty out of whack ...

Post by ZachKaplan » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:55 pm

Hi Tio Jim,

I'm not sure what the issue is with the tolerances but we can send you out some new plates. Can you send a picture to help@inventables.com so we can see which parts you are having the issue with?

Regards,

Zach

wundram

Post by wundram » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:29 pm

I ran into the same issue, After using a file to remove all of the primer and paint from the slots, I still found that the distance between the slots didn't match the distance between the holes in the aluminum extrusion. The bolts did go in, but it took a lot of torque to do it. I had the same issue every place where I was bolting a red plate to the end of one of the extrusions.

tioJim

Post by tioJim » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:18 pm

Yup I had to drill out the holes in the ends of the gantry plates/motor mounts too. That was Ok though as a 5.5 mm bit did the trick and they were holes not slots so it still looks Ok.

Unfortunately for the end plates I fear if I get at them with a file/rasp they're just going to end up a mess and inaccurate/unusable. The 6 mm bit was a bit unforgiving in the slot over the 5.5 mm bit in a hole.

I guess the problem could be with the aluminium extrusion ... perhaps they're off?

Zach, thanks for the prompt offer of replacements. I'll get some pictures together ASAP.

Thanks
Jim

tioJim

Post by tioJim » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:21 pm

Some pics to illustrate

Here's one of my tapped MakerSlides for reference

Here's the MakerSlide and end plate connected with the bolt at the un-reamed or stock end of the slot. If you look on the left the alignment is way off!

And then with the bolt pushed up into the 6 mm hole I reamed. Better, but still not great.

Also here's some long bolts in the tapped holes to illustrate they seem Ok.

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:24 am

Would you measure the distance between centers on the makerslide and let us know what the measurement is? I'd also like to know what the distance between centers on the plate.

Thanks!

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

zimmer62

Post by zimmer62 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:52 am

mine were a little out of whack too, but not this bad. I assumed it was because the maker slide is not perfect. Mine was close enough I got it to work with a little effort.

wundram

Post by wundram » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:40 pm

I just measured. The slots in the end plates are almost exactly 20mm from center to center. The holes in the extrusion are about 19.40mm from center to center.

jubei

Post by jubei » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:45 pm

I'm afraid I'll bump this thread again.

I have the same problem, and I would say the Makerslide is not extruded to specification with 20mm between holes. I have some Makerslide (also from Inventables) from another batch and I can compare. I measured at the untapped end of the Z-axis. Within my precision I find that
- the holes in Shapeoko's plates are 20.0mm CC
- the holes in the Makerslide from previous shipment are 20.0mm CC
- the holes in Makerslide in the Shapeoko shipment are 19.6mm CC

I tried to take some photos illustrating this by fixing the calipers at 20.0mm.

Top is Makerslide from separate shipment, bottom is Makerslide from Shapeoko.

Shapeoko Makerslide:

Separate Makerslide:

Y-axis idle plate holes:

As previous posters suggest, one can of course solve this by drilling out the plates a bit. But it sure would be better if the Makerslide was actually Makerslide-compatible :)

I recall Inventables having troubles with the Al extrusion at some point, maybe this is related? I am a bit surprised these are not measured before they are sent off.

ZachKaplan

Post by ZachKaplan » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:23 pm

Hi Zach here from Inventables. I'd like to help you solve the problem.

It appears that your Shapeoko MakerSlide is indeed not 20mm CC. I am going to follow up with the extruder about this. In the meantime we need to send you some new MakerSlide. Do all 4 pieces in your kit measure 19.6mm?