Nicked extrusion

MGarber

Nicked extrusion

Post by MGarber » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:35 pm

During assembly and post taping, I discovered a smallish (1-2mm wide; <<1mm deep) nick in the extrusion, yes where the v wheels ride.
Im thinking of putting a spot of JB Weld (epoxy) on it and lightly filing it flat but thought Id try to get some opinions here 1st.

I was as careful as I could and have no idea when/how this happened, but am open for taunting

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Nicked extrusion

Post by WillAdams » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:50 pm

That should be a workable fix (and I believe is what the instructions suggest as a fix) --- if you're feeling inclined, it would make a great instructional bit for the Makerslide page on the wiki.

The aluminum is fairly soft --- doesn't take much to ding it, but it may have arrived that way, glad to hear you're fixing it though.

Good luck!
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Brian Stone

Post by Brian Stone » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:59 pm

I used JB Weld on a nicked rail and it worked perfectly. To get the JB Weld completely flat I glued some 600 grit sand paper to a long flat stick and glided it flat along either side of the rail until the profile matched. 600 Grit seemed to be just enough grit to wear down the JB Weld, but not strong enough to remove much of the anodized layer under incidental contact.
Shapeoko 2 #7353
1500x1000mm Shapeoko/X-Carve Hybrid, Nema-23's, Belt-Driven Z-Axis /w ACME Screw, Dewalt 611, Soundproof Enclosure
[Fusion 360 | Illustrator] -> Universal G-Code Sender

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:42 pm

A small dent, in itself, does not cause any problems. It's the slightly raised edges that do. So you don't really need to fill it, unless you're particularly fastidious. Just to sand it, very gently, so that nothing protrudes. But if do you want to fill it, J B Weld works beautifully.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Brian Stone

Post by Brian Stone » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:42 am

For the sake of discussion, here's a photo of the repair that I made on one of my Y-axis rails. The nick was only about 3mm wide, probably not wide enough to interfere with operation, but it could be felt as a bump in the road as the v-wheels rolled over it. Its presence could still be detected even with the rail flipped over so the nick was on the bottom. That bugged me, so I filled it in, and the repair turned out nearly flawless.
jbweld_nick.jpg
jbweld_nick.jpg (23.99 KiB) Viewed 696 times
Shapeoko 2 #7353
1500x1000mm Shapeoko/X-Carve Hybrid, Nema-23's, Belt-Driven Z-Axis /w ACME Screw, Dewalt 611, Soundproof Enclosure
[Fusion 360 | Illustrator] -> Universal G-Code Sender