Makita Upgrade and z axis mod

andydoc

Makita Upgrade and z axis mod

Post by andydoc » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:44 pm

Well...took a day of vacation to play with the kids (read that as SO2 time). The stock 'dremel' crapped out on me at 8am...a harbor freight 'rotozip' crapped out by 9:30am...bought a Makita RT0701c awhile ago for a future upgrade...looks like it is time for the upgrade.

It is cold here in the Midwest (windchill in the negatives) and I don't' want to go outside...much. Took some time of figuring, but found a cheap way to mount the Makita and get most of what I want. Not sure where I got it, but found this 1/8" collet in the toolbox that with a little modification/grinding, fit perfectly in the makita (thanks Dad for all you taught). I live a ways from a Menards or Farm and Fleet, hometown hardware store is 4 miles...and figured I could do all I need with some M5 bolts and a 3" hose clamp...after $6, here is what I ended up with...

I used the stock spindle mounts as seen in the pics. I modified the z axis plate to move the top mount down 1/2 way between where it was and the stock delrin nut mounting location. Also drilled some holes inline with the lower holes for the v wheels...to remount the lower spindle mount. Next I moved the lower V wheels to the mid point (stock holes in plate) and also moved the delrin nut to the top set of holes (where the top spindle mount was). I had to 'clearance' the delrin nut for the mount screws (mounted backwards to stock assembly).

While the Z axis plate was out, I modified the stepper mount for additional clearance as seen several times here on this site...ended up pretty tight :)

Finally, the mount spacing let me used the stock spindle straps...mounted vertical...as a way to secure the hose clamp and makita.

End results...works great and lots of Z axis now...and use 140mm of total travel.

All in all...very happy with what was done (the wife appreciated my resourcefulness). Deflections were within 'my' limits for now till I can redesign. If you have any questions, feel free to aks and I can upload more pics
Attachments
IMG_8664.JPG
stepper plate mod clearance with makita and stock mounts
IMG_8664.JPG (65.64 KiB) Viewed 952 times
IMG_8662.JPG
assembled z axis
IMG_8662.JPG (73.86 KiB) Viewed 952 times
IMG_8661.JPG
backside z axis plate
IMG_8661.JPG (56.98 KiB) Viewed 952 times

andydoc

Re: Makita Upgrade and z axis mod

Post by andydoc » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:01 pm

a couple more pics...
Attachments
IMG_8666.JPG
IMG_8666.JPG (65.59 KiB) Viewed 949 times
IMG_8668.JPG
IMG_8668.JPG (81.18 KiB) Viewed 949 times
IMG_8667.JPG
IMG_8667.JPG (73 KiB) Viewed 949 times

cvoinescu

Re: Makita Upgrade and z axis mod

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:18 pm

That looks like a great way to attach the Makita! Nice work.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk