Hello World w/ diagonals problem

mristau

Hello World w/ diagonals problem

Post by mristau » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:30 am

Have a problem with diagonal trimmors. Thanks for suggestions of what to adjust or where to look.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (216.65 KiB) Viewed 1510 times
Build in progress: 1100x1100mm workarea using salvaged 45x45mm extrusions with Openrail, tinyG/435.10/v.0.97, NEMA 23s, belt drive XY, Acme Z, 400W PWM Spindle, lasercut 1/2" acrylic motor/wheel mount plates.

cvoinescu

Re: Hello World w/ diagonals problem

Post by cvoinescu » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:18 am

That looks more like a problem with the pen itself, or the way it's attached, not with the machine. Try a felt-tip pen, securely attached.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

mristau

Post by mristau » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:53 am

:D Seems the trimmer was related to a difference of belt tension between my dual Y drives. I've built a sturdy marker holder that would be overkill for most but I'll be doing a lot of drawing with my machine and using a variety of marker diameters. The new holder also lessened diagonal trimmer.
image.jpg
marker holder with detail shots (fits in spindle holder)
image.jpg (301.49 KiB) Viewed 1423 times
Build in progress: 1100x1100mm workarea using salvaged 45x45mm extrusions with Openrail, tinyG/435.10/v.0.97, NEMA 23s, belt drive XY, Acme Z, 400W PWM Spindle, lasercut 1/2" acrylic motor/wheel mount plates.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:06 pm

That's an elegant pen holder!
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Hans

Post by Hans » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:39 pm

That's a mighty fancy pen holder. Even though you've gone through all that trouble, you might look into purpose-made plotter pens. They're spring-loaded and designed for exactly what you're trying to do.

EDIT: Also speaking of reducing your "trimmer", the flexibility of the whole holder and pen assembly increases exponentially with how far the tip is from the clamp up top. This length is what machinists call "stickout". If you have further rigidity problems, try to make stickout as small as possible.
Last edited by Hans on Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shapeoko #1,123

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:46 pm

Agree, that's a really nifty pen holder --- putting it inside the spindle mount is an interesting idea, one which I'm actually pursuing for the next iteration of my "repstrapoko". Also a very nice, smooth drawing.
mristau wrote:Seems the trimmer was related to a difference of belt tension between my dual Y drives.
First, minor English correction, I believe you meant "tremors", not trimmer, making it plural one would then use "were" instead of "was".

Second, that's very interesting that you specifically were able to diagnose the problem as being caused by inconsistent belt tension --- I'd often suspected that would cause problems but this is the first really clear, even incontrovertible indication of it. Added your post as a footnote to the wiki's relevant troubleshooting sections.

Thanks!

Third, that's a really interesting (and large/expensive?) plot w/ the pastel --- what sort of pencil and paper and what's the ultimate intent? Surely not just testing?

William
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:39 pm

The pencil seems to be a Lyra Graphitkreide. Probably the 5620 but of a different year?

http://www.lyra.de/media/4076791/ly_ind ... ht_bis.pdf

Good stuff. I used to have some of their 1633 'China markers' once. Wroe on pretty much anything, even wet plastic.
(I used to laminate sections of maps and keep in my Kayak to make notes of the journey.)
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

mristau

Post by mristau » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:45 pm

Thanks Guys
Yes, "tremor" was the word. The holder is made to hold "markers" like the ones in snapshot. ...and the China marker is on my list. I've a couple of 6' rolls (several hundred yards) of salvage photographic paper and figure the china markers will work well there. Very interested in hearing about others using cnc for drawing, cutting and scoring. I'm new to cnc and figure its best to do a bunch of drawing before inserting a spindle!
Have a scoring tool (China cheap). Need to build a holder for that next. Gadgetman!—have had the box of Lyra markers for quite a while. They're old! If there's interest I'll post the file for the holder parts... Just made with stuff on hand.
markers_72.jpg
various markers
markers_72.jpg (481.01 KiB) Viewed 1370 times

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:06 pm

China Markers is something everyone should have in their workshop since they can write on just about anything.

The first time I used them was in the RNoAF. We had large acrylic panels bolted to the walls, with lines painted in which we used to write equipment status on. (You need a solvent such as ispropyl alcohol and a cloth to wipe it off, so there was never any danger of anyone unwittingly wiping anything)
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

mristau

Post by mristau » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:37 am

...what sort of pencil and paper and what's the ultimate intent? Surely not just testing?
That's a Lyra graphite crayon and the "paper" is a piece of natural, toothy foam core. Made several springs today for the holder. The one used in that first drawing was pushing too hard. Not good with soft graphite. Just testing at this point. There's a lot to learn. Regarding the tremors, in spite of all my belt tightening its back. Made another Sharpie marker drawing on slick paper. It was gone yesterday but back again. So, you might hold up on that wiki reference. My X&Y belts are the 6mm width GT2 and over 4.5' long. Probably should consider wider belt? I can see the carriage shudder and the only flexibility that i can find is belting. The tremor is related to quick change of direction as shown in snapshot. I don't understand jerk. X&Y are set to: [xjm] x jerk maximum 5000 mm/min^3 * 1 million.
Attachments
tremors2.jpg
quick direction change tremors
tremors2.jpg (490.09 KiB) Viewed 1342 times