Z axis upgrades - thoughts?

Improbable Construct

Re: Z axis upgrades - thoughts?

Post by Improbable Construct » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:55 pm

ACME screws will be back in stock soon. I have been out of town for a week and ran out of ACME nuts. I hope to get them made by the end of the week.
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct

blox

Post by blox » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:06 am

Good to hear, I was literally about to ask if they will come back in stock soon :)

Improbable Construct

Post by Improbable Construct » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:12 pm

I just checked my inventory and added 2 ACME upgrades to the store. I will add more later this week after I have made some more ACME nuts.
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct

dave_the_nerd

Post by dave_the_nerd » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:04 pm

/me orders rapidly!
Shapeoko 2 # 6651: 500x1000mm, Acme screw and belt drive Z-axis, DW660 w/ IC mount, Arduino/grblShield w/ gCode 0.9g and 3D-printed electronics enclosure.

samc99us

Post by samc99us » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:46 pm

When ordering from IC, order a second ACME delrin nut. I need to post my anti-backlash solution, but it's fairly simple; attach both nuts together in the orientation they would get installed on the ACME rod w/ some tape. Drill a hole on each side of the ACME threaded hole. On one nut this will be a through-hole, and the other you will want to stop shy of the attachment holes that normally connect the nut to the z-axis carriage. Untape the two delrin nuts from each other. Open up the holes to allow a M5 fastener to go clean through the nut you drilled through holes in. Tap the other nut to allow the M5 fastener to thread into it. Screw both Delrin nuts onto the ACME drive screw. You want some space between the nuts, about 1/4" or so. I put the nut with the through-holes on top of the nut with the tapped holes. Go down to your local hardware store and pick up a package of springs ($10). Drop some M5 bolts down through the top nut, and insert a spring of medium-light compressive resistance between two Delrin nuts, allowing the fastener to pass through. You want one spring and one fastener on each side. Tighten up the fasteners gently-this takes some tweaking, too tight and there is too much friction, too loose and effectively the second Delrin nut isn't doing anything.

Now re-assemble the z-axis. Only one of the delrin nut gets attached to the z-axis carriage, as per before. The trick is getting enough clearance in between the spindle mounting locations to allow for the second delrin nut. I had to move one of my spindle mounts lower and use those holes for the delrin nut, so there was enough vertical clearance.
Modified Shapeoko 2: 1500mm fully supported y-axis, 1000 mm 4060 x-axis, ACME Belt Drive Z-axis, Dewalt DNP611, full aluminum t-slot table, 4x NEMA23 180 oz/in stepper motors driven by a G540

etxbkst

Post by etxbkst » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:51 pm

@samc99us that's great! I've been looking on eBay for a Delrin backlash solution, but I've been striking out on something US based and will work with our Z axis setups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

samc99us

Post by samc99us » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:11 pm

Modified Shapeoko 2: 1500mm fully supported y-axis, 1000 mm 4060 x-axis, ACME Belt Drive Z-axis, Dewalt DNP611, full aluminum t-slot table, 4x NEMA23 180 oz/in stepper motors driven by a G540