Help with rigidity on large SO1 monster build.

balazar

Help with rigidity on large SO1 monster build.

Post by balazar » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:39 pm

Hello everyone. I have an SO1 that has been rebuilt several times. Upgrade after upgrade has kept my SO1 useful for my hobbies. Last fall I decided to up the anti again with a 1000mm dual x and 1800mm dual y. I have open end plates and a SO2 acme z with belt drive. Nema 23's all the way around with a G540 and mach3. My question is about rigidity. Even with 20x40mm extrusions sistered up (bolted) next to my y makerslide, it has a lot of flex. I have seen (god forbid I mention the name here) makerfoot used to help with the sided to side flex in long stretchs of makerslide. It's not really the solution I'm looking for though because it will take away my sistered extrusions. I am looking for a similar way to secure the makerslide to the table. Does anyone know of a source for large t-rails? Aluminum or steel would workable. The machines is bolted down to a 4x8 workbench with a plywood top. I've seen Improbable constructs brackets, but they would be very expensive because I would have to order several sets. I'm thinking about some kind of bracket solution. What has been tried? I really want to beef this thing up. My motors are capable of some pretty fast acceleration and deceleration, but the side to side flex in the x direction when the x cartridge is moving is very limiting.
SO1# 1161

cvoinescu

Re: Help with rigidity on large SO1 monster build.

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:47 pm

First off, please do mention names. They make everything easier understand, and easier to search later too. If you bought something on eBay, say so -- not "a certain large Californian online auction site". If it's CNC Mogul that you're talking about, name them. And so on. :)

The cheapest way that I see is to mount some T-slot extrusion along the Y, screwed into to the table all along its length, and use flat stock (1/4" by 2" extruded aluminium flat bar, for instance) to make brackets that tie the Y MakerSlide to the bolted-down extrusion. You don't need precision cuts, and all you need in the way of machining is a few holes per bracket, which are easy to drill even with a cordless drill. Or, if you have a bandsaw or a lot of patience with a hacksaw, you can buy some beefy T or angle extrusion and cut several 60-100 mm slices out of that to use as brackets.

In either case, the idea is to use the rigidity of the table to secure your Y MakerSlide -- or, at a minimum, make the table and the rails flex together. Remember that it's also important to prevent the MakerSlide from flexing sideways (in the X direction), not just to support the weight vertically, so your brackets need to be rigid and securely attached at the bottom end.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

balazar

Post by balazar » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:28 pm

Ok, I think that I have found something that will work. http://www.metalsdepot.com stock number C34180. It is aluminum c-channel that can be bolted to the table and the makerslide. sitting on its side it will be 4" tall and 1.58" wide. I may have to trim it a little to fit the v-wheels. I will also have to fab new end plates, or trim the ones that I have. I have a pretty good assortment of tools. Band saw, chop saw with metal blade, routers, ect. I have a good homebrew 3d printer and a milling machine, but it's not operational quite yet. There is also C34247. It has a little thicker wall for not too much more but will defiantly need trimming. I was talking about Makerfoot from ebay seller makerfoot. This auction http://www.ebay.com/itm/MakerFoot-Revol ... Swq7JT1UjP Thoughts on the c-channel?
SO1# 1161

balazar

Post by balazar » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:55 pm

After lots of debating and comparing, I have decided to actually use the steel c-channel. C2454 4 X 1-1/2 X 3/16. It is slightly cheaper than the aluminum, even with higher shipping costs. I can get the 6' lengths that I need and cut them down with my abrasive saw. I will just have to get the milling machine going to face it and drill the mounting holes. I'll report back with pictures when the materials arrive.
SO1# 1161

clynad

Post by clynad » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:03 pm

@balazar
For the y axis i would have thought additional agle brackets (every 8" or so) connecting your 2040 to the table would be more than enough,

As for the x axis have you looked at the tee bar you'll have to play with your washers/spacers to get it right.

In any event i would like to know how whatever you decide works out i try to watch the progress of anyone streching a shapeoko pass 1000mm.

balazar

Post by balazar » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:52 pm

I'm Still working on this. I have the C-Beams, just haven't had time to put them on the mill yet. They need some modifications. I will surface them, drill holes and take a little bit off of one edge so that the v-wheels will clear. It should be pretty simple, they are just really long so setup might be tricky.
SO1# 1161

balazar

Post by balazar » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:46 am

I have what everyone wants to see... PICS! I got the c-channel set up on the mill today. I have only used my mill for aluminum so far. It was a little tedious experimenting with feeds and speeds on the steel c-channel. I was weary at first. After taking some deeper cuts, I gained quite a bit of confidence in the machine. The setup is, well, ghetto at best :lol: but it's solid and it works.
20160128_145703.jpg
20160128_145703.jpg (166.98 KiB) Viewed 4139 times
The Clamps hold it just fine, but I have to mill it in sections obviously. The x travel is only 18"
20160128_145707.jpg
20160128_145707.jpg (136.67 KiB) Viewed 4139 times
I had to cut a hole in my temporary enclosure. I just built the chip pan and it works great. I just threw up some cardboard to get running again.
20160128_145719.jpg
20160128_145719.jpg (155.4 KiB) Viewed 4139 times
I even had to move my control cart out of the way to get it on there.
SO1# 1161