Tips for enclosures to house electronics?

jininjin

Tips for enclosures to house electronics?

Post by jininjin » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:26 am

I have Shapeoko 2 with a TinyG, Speed Controller and two power supplies for spindle and board. Any tips for project boxes?
I am just started researching enclosures so I can safely put everything neatly away. It would be great to have some connectors to make it easily disassembled or less points of failure if wires come loose. Any good connectors that work well mounted to a enclosure?

Currently I have a 3D printed enclosure for the TinyG attached to the end of the Shapeoko rails but I would like to enclose the two power supplies and speed controller.

Edit: Found this as a great example: https://www.inventables.com/projects/x- ... ontrol-box
Last edited by jininjin on Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shapeoko 2
X,Y,Z Nema 23's 140 in-oz, ACME Z Axis, Quiet Cut Spindle 400w
ChiliPeppr, TinyG V8

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Tips for enclosures to house electronics?

Post by WillAdams » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:21 am

Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

jininjin

Post by jininjin » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:00 am

Thanks Will for pointing me into the right direction. Lots of interesting designs. I think they all have similar elements in common.

Looks like I may need to come up with my own design as well.. I was hoping for something off the shelf that is common/semi professional and then just modify it by drilling holes for connectors. I will need to do my homework now.
Shapeoko 2
ChiliPeppr, TinyG V8

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:46 pm

jininjin wrote: Looks like I may need to come up with my own design as well.. I was hoping for something off the shelf that is common/semi professional and then just modify it by drilling holes for connectors. I will need to do my homework now.
I've been looking for a long time for a large enough box. If you want such a thing you are going to have to pay a bunch of money for an electrical enclosure.

If you find something usable let us know!
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

jininjin

Post by jininjin » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:26 am

twforeman wrote:
I've been looking for a long time for a large enough box. If you want such a thing you are going to have to pay a bunch of money for an electrical enclosure.

If you find something usable let us know!

I am ok paying money for a quicker solution. I will let you know if I find something. I probably will use a project box I find online and make a bezel panel that fits all the ports. Ill need to think how to mount everything but I have a 3D printer and the CNC so maybe Ill do that custom as well.. The Search begins!
Shapeoko 2
ChiliPeppr, TinyG V8

madhatter

Post by madhatter » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:42 pm

So, I have had this little project bookmarked for when I have some free time (or more realistically when it reaches the top of the priority list of things to do), but in the build is a steel enclosure made by IAASR that actually seemed reasonably priced compared to some of the enclosures I've seen.

Also, if you read through the Instructable, there is a part that piques my interest, ". . .I contacted Shiraz Macuff, CEO, about the front panel design. He says, "Send me a layout and we'll cut the holes before we ship at no extra charge". . . ." Now, that would be awesome if they do that for all their orders, but I wonder if there was any influence in the author letting the CEO know he was writing an Instructable article to get the free panel cutouts.

I have never dealt with the company, but the Instructable author seemed pleased with them. If anyone does end up getting a case from them, let us know how it went.
SO3 #0054
DWP611 - SuperPID
Prusa i3 MkII
SolidWorks 2015

jininjin

Post by jininjin » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:43 pm

madhatter wrote:So, I have had this little project bookmarked for when I have some free time (or more realistically when it reaches the top of the priority list of things to do), but in the build is a steel enclosure made by IAASR that actually seemed reasonably priced compared to some of the enclosures I've seen.

Also, if you read through the Instructable, there is a part that piques my interest, ". . .I contacted Shiraz Macuff, CEO, about the front panel design. He says, "Send me a layout and we'll cut the holes before we ship at no extra charge". . . ." Now, that would be awesome if they do that for all their orders, but I wonder if there was any influence in the author letting the CEO know he was writing an Instructable article to get the free panel cutouts.

I have never dealt with the company, but the Instructable author seemed pleased with them. If anyone does end up getting a case from them, let us know how it went.
Wow thanks! This is a great find. I will look into this further.

Edit: They mention providing services for cutting
We provide cost effective Panel design and
preparation services even at the prototyping
stage. Some cases and panels are cut free of cost
even for one unit. Please feel free to contact at
So maybe.. I may find out.
Shapeoko 2
ChiliPeppr, TinyG V8