800x1000 with supported rail and rack & pinion

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
Archangel

800x1000 with supported rail and rack & pinion

Post by Archangel » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:14 am

This is an awesome community and and remarkable bit of a cnc kit.
So here is my Shapeoko with some major mods. Sorry for the ratty cell phone camera.

Here is the MXL belt glued down, and the stepper lowered to make it direct drive. It eliminates belt stretching and tensioning issues.
the pulley's metal end rides on the makerslide and is oiled with machine oil. I had to grind the tip off the tiny set screw so it diddnt chew up the rail.

Here is the supported rail. It uses heavy steel EIA threaded rack DIN rail, bolted to the makerslide. The whole assembly is screwed from underneath the bed through aluminum channel and into the 10-32 rack rail.
the Y's are strong enough to stand on. This effectively ends flexing and deflection in the Y axis. And now the machine has infinite Y length with the end plates gone .... with a little indexing.

I also inverted the X axis makerslide to put the V-wheels closer to the Z. This will soon give way to a double makerslide X ..... so it will carry a laminate trim router.

and the proofs in the resolution:

Thanks Edward, IC and the rest of you good folks. This is the coolest thing.
Stretched Custom ShapeOko
800 X 1000 / Dual Y motors / Direct Drive Rack and Pinion / Supported Y Rails / Reversed X Axis Makerslide / 24V T4 TB6560 controller

PsyKo

Re: 800x1000 with supported rail and rack & pinion

Post by PsyKo » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:10 am

Nice setup you have there. I like the Y axis makerslide mount. It indeed wides the max Y shapeoko size :)
Does the inverted X axis makerslide rail add a lot of robustness to the Shapeoko ?
Shapeoko #736
Kress 800, Z Axis upgrade, dual Y, 600mm X&Y rails, metal spacers and V Wheels, home switches, 4th axis
Goko - Free CNC Control Software - http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 380#p44380

deejayspinz

Post by deejayspinz » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:05 am

Nice build.. Looks solid. Do you find you have any issues with the MXL belt getting clogged with cutting bits (e.g. plastics, metal)? That would be my concern.. Unless you've added a vacuum to your spindle?

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:31 pm

This nearly brought a tear to my eye it's so beautiful :-)

I played around with a setup just like this! My only hangup was thinking I needed some sort of tensioning mechanism against the motors to keep them pressed down against the belting. Have you have any issues with the motor wanting to come off the track?

One of the best and most exciting parts about shapeoko is seeing how people hack it. It's a really simple platform and the things people have done with theirs never cease to amaze me. This is definitely one of the coolest mods yet!

Great work!

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

Archangel

Post by Archangel » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:37 pm

PsyKo wrote:Nice setup you have there. I like the Y axis makerslide mount. It indeed wides the max Y shapeoko size :)
Does the inverted X axis makerslide rail add a lot of robustness to the Shapeoko ?
I saw a post on the forum about putting the V wheels closer to the Z to help with the Z makerslide pitching forward and back.
It does seem to help.
The ideal solution is double makerslide Z .... one in front, and one behind the gantry.
800 X 1000 / Dual Y motors / Direct Drive Rack and Pinion / Supported Y Rails / Reversed X Axis Makerslide / 24V T4 TB6560 controller

Archangel

Post by Archangel » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:40 pm

deejayspinz wrote:Nice build.. Looks solid. Do you find you have any issues with the MXL belt getting clogged with cutting bits (e.g. plastics, metal)? That would be my concern.. Unless you've added a vacuum to your spindle?
the nice thing about having the X longer than the Y
is that you can cut acrylic or polycarbonate side shields for the Y axis easily without indexing.

and I will definitely need a vacuum, especially when I double the X and add a router.

Archangel

Post by Archangel » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:54 pm

edwardrford wrote:This nearly brought a tear to my eye it's so beautiful :-)

I played around with a setup just like this! My only hangup was thinking I needed some sort of tensioning mechanism against the motors to keep them pressed down against the belting. Have you have any issues with the motor wanting to come off the track?

One of the best and most exciting parts about shapeoko is seeing how people hack it. It's a really simple platform and the things people have done with theirs never cease to amaze me. This is definitely one of the coolest mods yet!

Great work!

-Edward
Thanks Edward!
The motor mounting holes are drilled oversize for adjustment. and the aluminum collar on the pulley rides on one side the makerslide, while the pulley and teeth ride on the other side.
So it is easy to align and the tension is no more than a V wheel.
...and the pulley acts like another wheel for more stability.
incidentally, he belt on the X is cut in two and glued back together with no evidence of a seam.

And the open hardware platform is awesome with the Inventables store for parts.
Word will be out soon, cause I am going to build guitars with it :lol:
...and inlay, and signs, and pc boards, and effects pedals, and film tools, and... haha
I am glad I found this place

northbear

Post by northbear » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:57 pm

Very cool modification!

Have you had any problems with the pulley skipping on the belt? With timing pulleys the manufacturer typically recommend having a minimum amount of tooth engagement (usually 6 teeth). For the 18 tooth MXL pulley would be about 120 degrees of wrap on the drive.
My buildlog is here

Archangel

Post by Archangel » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:16 pm

northbear wrote:Very cool modification!

Have you had any problems with the pulley skipping on the belt? With timing pulleys the manufacturer typically recommend having a minimum amount of tooth engagement (usually 6 teeth). For the 18 tooth MXL pulley would be about 120 degrees of wrap on the drive.
you would think so, but no when it is tensioned down snug it is very difficult to make it skip.

and remarkably the thickness of the belt against the teeth is the same dimension as the pulley's collar,
riding on the opposite side of the makerslide like a wheel.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:18 pm

Wonderful! I really like the way the MakerSlide is attached to the board. Gives me ideas! I'm not sold on the glued belt, but I guess I'd have to see it for myself. How about a rack machined out of Delrin, how do you think that would fare?
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk