Alpha character inlay

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
Lookin4help

Alpha character inlay

Post by Lookin4help » Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:53 pm

I would like to make a cutting board out of walnut and then use maple to do an inlay. The inlay would be in the walnut using letters and numbers (non-script) from the maple. However, I realize that doing a pocket cut on the walnut will leave me with a combination of rounded/square corners and doing an outside right cut on the maple will leave me with rounded/square corners that don't match (putting a square peg in a round hole).

I suspect someone of you has done this and I am hoping that person might be willing to give me an understanding of how to accomplish what it is that I would like to do or tell me that it isn't possible.

Well, thanks and blessings!

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Alpha character inlay

Post by WillAdams » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:44 am

Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

Lookin4help

Post by Lookin4help » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:59 pm

William: Thanks for the links. What I have discovered is that there is a feature for doing this in Carbide Create, which I am sure you are already aware of, but it is not active in the free version. If you want to do that you have to upgrade. I would like to do that, but I would do something like this so infrequently that I can't justify the expense (especially to my wife). Thanks

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:24 pm

The Advanced V carving feature is present in the free version --- no added expense.

We're also giving away a free 1yr. of Pro: https://community.carbide3d.com/t/carbi ... year/20918

You need a BitSetter, but it's possible to split the G-Code by editing it or using a utility or to use depth ring collars or a gauge block to ensure consistent stickout.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

Lookin4help

Post by Lookin4help » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:55 pm

I followed the link you gave me and I downloaded some sort of authorization code. Will I receive a link to the software itself or what?

Thanks,