Small signs/plaques

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
Lookin4help

Small signs/plaques

Post by Lookin4help » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:55 pm

I have been asked by a family member to make a very small sign/plaque. The wood size is 6.5 inches wide and 1.0 inches high with a .5 inch thickness. On this piece of wood they would like the following to appear in upper/lower case as follows: Aller Anfang is schwer, aber das kriegen wir hin!

For this project I have selected Bookman Old Style - Regular font in a .5 inch high setting and it is ultimately to be done in black walnut.

I've run a test cut in some scrap pine using a 60 degree v-cut bit. I can't say that I was very impressed with the outcome.

First, I have very little experience at this so I am wondering if any of you guys who have some experience at this have any suggestions. Let me say that font type, other than upper/lower case settings, is negotiable. Second, my router bit is probably 2 hears old, but has had little use. I am not adverse to getting a new bit, if that is truly the problem. I am wondering if the problem is the size of the wood and the size of the letters that is the real cause of the problem. Third, I note the centers of the lower case "e, a" seem to chip out. Would this change in a harder wood like black walnut? I don't know and maybe some of you do or have a solution. Fourth, when the project goes to final cut, if ever, the surface will be covered with a layer of Oramask so that the lettering afterward can be painted in gold while leaving the surface the natural wood color.

I'd love to be able to attach my .c2d file and why that isn't possible I don't understand. However, I am more than willing to send it as an e-mail attachment if anyone wants to look or play with it.

I'd really appreciate any insights, suggestions that some you experienced sign/plaque makers might have.

Thanks in advance and blessings

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Small signs/plaques

Post by WillAdams » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:32 pm

A harder, finer-grained hardwood will help, as will using advanced V carving (if you have a BitSetter), or see:

http://community.carbide3d.com/t/could- ... carve/7101
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets