cvoinescu

Re: X and Z mods

Post by cvoinescu » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:59 pm

Zip the .skp and upload the .zip file.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

offerd15

Post by offerd15 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:34 am

Here is the skp file. Let me know if you think there should be any changes. Thanks
Attachments
4carriage_new_hole.zip
(41.84 KiB) Downloaded 98 times

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:48 am

It looks right. What's the extra 5 mm hole for?

offerd15

Post by offerd15 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:33 am

In the middle of the plate? That's too add a third wheel to the z axis. I have a few extra delrin wheels so I figured I would throw an extra as long as there is room.

offerd15

Post by offerd15 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:54 pm

Just an update on my progress. I have my machine all up and running finally. I just cut my most accurate parts yet and I am very happy with the stiffness of the x and z axis now. I've never made a tutorial before since I am still new but I can take some pictures of my setup if anyone is interested. There are a few steps the OP forgot to add in his posts. One of the main problems was the M3 bolts of the motor mount were hitting the rail which prevented the carriage from moving. I fixed this by adding some washers, which then caused me to have to get longer bolts to hold everything together. Instead of 70mm bolts, you need 80mm M5 bolts. Because of this same issue, I have not been able to add a third wheel to the z axis yet. It will involve grinding down the head of the socket head to allow it to fit. I have not found a source of M5 bolts longer than 80mm so that is why I will have to grind down one side. Overall, this is an amazing setup for the x and z axis. The flex is almost eliminated and my DW660 is very sturdy. Hope this helps someone.

Offerd15

B2Pi

Post by B2Pi » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:30 pm

microwavesafe wrote:
I should point out that the bearings are this type http://store.makerslide.com/index.php?m ... ucts_id=75 . Not the Open Rail steel wheels. The Open Rail steel wheels follow the same design as the delrin and to my mind will suffer from the same tolerance issues. The RM1ZZ V groove bearings have integrated bearings with a single piece bore hole so you can tighten right down on them without causing them to bind. They are designed for high axial loads and perform very well in this application. Not saying the Open rail ones wont! I just haven't used them so I can't say.
That link is gone now. Do you have a part number? The closest I've found is 625VV, but I can't find those at ABEC 3 or above.

Cheers

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:45 pm

Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:17 pm

The steel V-wheels from my store (MakerSlide Europe) are the same dimensions as the ones from Bart's store (makerslide.com). They may even be from the same supplier, I have no way of knowing. They're identical to the standard RM1ZZ V-groove bearing, except the inner diameter is 5 mm instead of 3/16".

offerd15

Post by offerd15 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:27 pm

The wheels I used were from the maker slide store. Here is the link: http://store.makerslide.com/index.php?m ... aintenance but it seems to be down for maintenance.

I was finally able to add a 3rd set of wheels to the z axis by ordering some flat head socket screws and countersinking them into the aluminum plate. Now they are flush and don't inhibit the movement. The entire set up was already very sturdy so I can't say it had a huge effect. I had the wheels laying around so why not use them though right?

calica

Post by calica » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:27 pm

It's been down for maintenance for weeks (months?). Anyone know what's going on?

Hope everything is ok, Bart is a great contributor to the maker community.