large format shapeoko table design...

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
cchristianson

large format shapeoko table design...

Post by cchristianson » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:04 pm

Been reading this board like crazy in anticipation for my Shapeko that should arrive in a couple weeks, but this is my first post.. I plan on building the stock kit (with extra Y motor and dewalt 660) and experiment with it fully before investing in a scale-up, but ultimately would like to use 3 1800mm slides to make it about 70"x30" (with double X slides). I wanted to get some feedback about my design for the table/structural elements of my future shapeoko.. Before you take a look at the pictures, here are some key design points; Torsion box construction with interlocked milled plywood and MDF. (I work at a large format sign shop and have built several of these style tables up to 10' by 40' and they all ended up DEAD flat and unnecessarily sturdy); MDF table surface has grid of T nuts for hold down options; interlocking support struts have venting to allow for future vacuum hold down system (with potential for 4 zones); bottom panel of table has 4 holes for vacuum attachment; outer longer support struts extend up for Y axis support and could help with mounting belt covers, etc; (will this interfere with stock motor mount setup? IE: will the through bolts run into my supports that are flush with the inside edge of the rails?) No biggy if I have to adjust something but just curious..;there are organization trays for bits/hold downs/etc around the perimeter of the machine...; last but not least, the whole thing will only require 1 sheet of4x8x3/4" birch plywood; and 2 sheets 4x8x1/2 MDF. (not including legs/ laptop tray/sub table/whatever else i will add)

There are still a few adjustments I need to make to the drawing (I drew this up last night) such as Legs, taking out the holes in the center struts of both X and Y axis to allow for different vac zones and whatnot. Thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as I would like to nail down the design before ordering/cutting any parts. Once the design is finished I would be happy to share the cut files for anyone who has access to a large machine capable of milling them.
Thanks!
-Court
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (177.48 KiB) Viewed 2738 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (233.85 KiB) Viewed 2738 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (219.12 KiB) Viewed 2738 times

cvoinescu

Re: large format shapeoko table design...

Post by cvoinescu » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:59 pm

That is an amazing table! You won't have any problem milling elephants, rhinoceroses and hippopotamuses on it (whales may be a problem, because salt water can swell MDF). Seriously, it looks great. No bolts on the Y plates extend past the MakerSlide, so you should not hit the supports. If you don't mind that you limit X travel a little, you can even make the Y rail support taller by about 25mm, to protect the top of the rail from debris. That, and belts on top (or on the outside) should keep the belts clean too.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

mjohn

Post by mjohn » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:07 pm

Nice design Court!

I know the feeling, be careful, it's an addiction. But, building the ShapeOKO stock is certainly the most important part. Get an idea on what you need to learn software wise before you disable your ShapeOKO for upgrades.

If I can build a 24x48" cutting area out of some MDF and 2x4's you'll be fine.. Enjoy!
John Milleker Jr. - Historical Process Photographer/Instructor
Baltimore Maryland, USA - http://www.JohnMilleker.com
ShapeOko #1,284 - Upgrades: 2x4Oko (24x48" footprint), Double X rails, Acme-Z, Dual Y, DW660, IC's Dust Shoe w/Dust Collection.

jsbannis

Post by jsbannis » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:16 am

cvoinescu wrote:You won't have any problem milling elephants, rhinoceroses and hippopotamuses on it (whales may be a problem, because salt water can swell MDF)
Freshwater alike will cause it to swell / best watch out for hippos as well
shapeoko #0057

Will Winder

Post by Will Winder » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:47 am

Nice design, thanks for sharing these great pictures. I really like how you integrated the Y support into the design. My shapeoko is sitting on an MDF torsion box as well (though not as elaborate), and I really appreciate having a dead flat surface. One thing that seems to be missing from your design is a scheme for clamping the work pieces, were you planning to mill some dados for T-Slot extrusions once everything is assembled? One other thing I might integrate is a slot in the table that you could use to clamp pieces vertically, in case you ever wanted to cut something like finger joints.
ShapeOko #367: Dual-Y drive, Belt on outside, 1000mm Y-Axis, DW660 Spindle, Nema-23 X/Y motors.

Primary developer on Universal Gcode Sender.

cchristianson

Post by cchristianson » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:15 pm

One thing that seems to be missing from your design is a scheme for clamping the work pieces
If you look closely at the top surface there is grid of holes that will be filled with T nuts. I plan on having an assortment of cams and toggles that can thread into the T nuts. At some point I would like to incorporate a vac system into it as well, but Im a little worried about the noise of two vacuums and the machine running at the same time. I like your idea of having a slot for cutting finger joints... Ill have to think about that one a bit. I have a decent table saw with jigs /dado blade for cutting finger joints, but it could definitely be simpler/easier to do it on the mill...
Thank you guys for the compliments, and I appreciate any constructive criticism/ideas for improvement that anyone has. Keep in mind that I plan on using this machine for light/moderate production of furniture, signs, toys, etc. I dont want to spend forever upgrading and modifying, Im hoping to do the initial stock build then upgrade as much as I can based on what I learn, and then put it to work. I'm hoping to use the knowledge base on this forum to avoid a ton of back and forth modifying when people out there that have already figured this stuff out... That being said Im trying to get ahead of the game now so I can get put it to production ASAP. I realize there will be a bit of a learning curve as far as CAM software goes, but I have been playing around with the different options for a couple weeks, making test projects and running simulations. Hoping it wont take forever to figure out. If I need help I can always ask the full time CNC operators at my work to walk me through it as well. (awesome resource)
Thanks!

cchristianson

Post by cchristianson » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:30 pm

Still waiting for my actual machine to ship, but got all the upgrade parts I ordered, so just went ahead and made the table.... Still need to fasten down the spoil sheet, make a laptop tray, put in a shopvac enclosure to cut down on noise, and a few other things, but otherwise ready for the shapeoko!
Attachments
1_2.jpg
1_2.jpg (125.51 KiB) Viewed 2528 times
1_1.jpg
1_1.jpg (180.32 KiB) Viewed 2528 times

LTMNO

Post by LTMNO » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:24 pm

nicely done...can't wait to see the finished product.
ShapeOko #1508, TinyG Controller, Dual Y, ACME Z-Axis, MeanWell(S-350-24v), NEMA 23's, 1m Squared t-slot table, OpenRail and the Original Z Makerslide and all Motor Plates...

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:25 pm

Dang, I can't believe that I'm jealous of a table. :)

Looks very nice. And sturdy.
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

Althiels

Post by Althiels » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:49 pm

Wow, nice work! That looks really great!
Serial #: 1295, DW660 Router, TinyG controller, Dual Y Motors, ACME Z-Axis - First Cut - 2/19/2013