#1016, Conversion 1M x1M for Hobby Panels

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
Will Winder

Re: #1016, Conversion 1M x1M for Hobby Panels

Post by Will Winder » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:29 pm

I'm digging those 3d printed clamps as-is, but if you insist on making them even more convenient...

how about something like these hose clamps with built in wingnut-type screw:
http://www.amazon.com/Big-Horn-11741PK- ... p+toolless

or this one that has a quick release mechanism, but needs a screwdriver to re-tighten:
http://www.amazon.com/4-Quick-Release-H ... hose+clamp
ShapeOko #367: Dual-Y drive, Belt on outside, 1000mm Y-Axis, DW660 Spindle, Nema-23 X/Y motors.

Primary developer on Universal Gcode Sender.

bjbsquared

Post by bjbsquared » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:36 pm

but if you insist on making them even more convenient...
Those would be good if I didn't have a 3d printer and not at a bad price.
#1016 - 1M x 1M Y: Dual Motor Drive w/Looped Belts, X:Dual Rail with wlanfox blocks, Z: Stock, Spindle:DW660

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:43 pm

How about using a cross dowel bolt with a 3-D printed quick-release lever that uses the dowel as an eccentric pivot? It would work much like a bike saddle quick-release. Your parts would stay mostly the same, except instead of round holes, the movable part would have to have a slot, and the fixed one an oval hole to allow the bolt and lever to move enough to clear the hinged part.
Quick release clamp.png
Quick release clamp.png (18.83 KiB) Viewed 1720 times
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

kbot3d

Post by kbot3d » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:25 am

i was wondering if you had put any miles on the 3d printed spindle mounts yet? I have a design that after a few dozen hours of hard milling show splits at a few of the layers. have you seen this? Have you put yours thru any rough milling?

bjbsquared

Post by bjbsquared » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:34 am

i was wondering if you had put any miles on the 3d printed spindle mounts yet? I have a design that after a few dozen hours of hard milling show splits at a few of the layers. have you seen this? Have you put yours thru any rough milling?
They have not seen any milling yet. They are fresh off the printer. I will advertise if and what fails though.
#1016 - 1M x 1M Y: Dual Motor Drive w/Looped Belts, X:Dual Rail with wlanfox blocks, Z: Stock, Spindle:DW660

bjbsquared

Post by bjbsquared » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:46 am

How about using a cross dowel bolt with a 3-D printed quick-release lever that uses the dowel as an eccentric pivot? It would work much like a bike saddle quick-release. Your parts would stay mostly the same, except instead of round holes, the movable part would have to have a slot, and the fixed one an oval hole to allow the bolt and lever to move enough to clear the hinged part.
This was my original thought but the picture you posted really clarifies it.

I could do it as pictured or use 2 dowel nuts and threaded rod.

I think this is the easiest for me yet. :D

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:39 am

Good idea: the cross dowel is likely to distribute the load better, and pivots easier. Now I want to print a set too!
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

bjbsquared

Now it really sucks

Post by bjbsquared » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:00 pm

Though out the week I have been working on getting a dust shoe incorporated into the hinged mount.

There are still some refinements that need to be made but I figured I would use this for now. That way I will have some lessons learned.
photo-6.JPG
Hinged mount with dust shoe
photo-6.JPG (120.15 KiB) Viewed 1630 times
I brought the hinged mounts over into SketchUp and added the 'U' shapes to hold the vacuum tube with a zip tie. On the bottom of the bottom hinge mount I have recesses for 4 magnets that are pressed in. These magnets align and hold the dust shoe plate with magnets pressed into it. I saw this Idea somewhere on this forum so Kudos to the originator because it works really slick. The skirt of the dust shoe is held on with velcro and has 4 separate removable sections. The skirt is made from a spinach container that I cut into strips added the velcro and then cut into 0.25inch strips.

The straight tube and hose I got from Lowes. It is marketed for cleaning the inside of cars. It was about $20US.
photo-7.JPG
Full View
photo-7.JPG (138.8 KiB) Viewed 1630 times
As the picture showsI put the vacuum up on the top shelf. What is not obvious from the picture is that I have a ridged tube extension that is plugged into the vacuum and it sticks out about halfway over the build surface. This will allow for adequate hose slack no matter the spindle position.

I need to setup an on off switch for the vacuum and spindle but for now I will just plug them in.

xtonyx

Post by xtonyx » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:52 pm

Ohhh.. the hinged mounts were beautiful, I was trying to figure something like this out earlier so I didn't have to use two screws on my mounts. Nice setup!
tony

bjbsquared

Woking Area Sign

Post by bjbsquared » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:00 am

I finally got around to cutting some wood today. Everything went alright except I have more suction than I planned for. The skirt is getting sucked up in places. It's really nice having the dust shoe and vacuum system.

I made some what of a cornerstone for the bed with the max working size. The font is Courier New from InkScape. The text is about an inch high and 7"x7" overall.
photo-8.JPG
photo-8.JPG (115.1 KiB) Viewed 1587 times
Next I think I need a #1016 sign.