Mark II

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
cvoinescu

Re: Mark II

Post by cvoinescu » Tue May 28, 2013 2:46 pm

What northbear said, plus they'd cost at least twice as much to make, which is an important aspect for the standard kit.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

SnapFracturePop

Post by SnapFracturePop » Tue May 28, 2013 4:18 pm

Now that I think about it, there are a lot of ways I could make a quick change plate for my needs, and those needs don't match those of most users. I'll take it off the list, and add the following:

Limit switches - 6 small switches plus wire & mounting hardware should be less than $10, increase repeatability, and allow for bit changes without as much fear of accidentally bumping the machine out of place (and make a quick-change plate less necessary)

Sturdy V-wheels - Figure out how to make the V-wheels not damage the Makerslide, but not deform if overtightened or allow play in the machine. I don't know what the answer is, just that it's a problem.
Shapeoko #384: dual-Y, outside-belt, ACME-Z,1000mm Y, drag chain cable management, insert-nut style base board, 800mw IR laser cutter, & 3d-printing with Qu-Bd & Printrboard.

bjbsquared

Post by bjbsquared » Wed May 29, 2013 12:12 am

A small thing that is making a big difference with my 1Mx1M upgrade is using nylock nuts or lock washers (split type) for each location that needs a nut. The lock washers work well with the V-wheel bearings because give a good indication how much torque to apply because when they are closed you are done.
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (123.05 KiB) Viewed 2083 times
Because I am doubling the X I went with all thread and the nylock nuts worked well on the outside. The extra nut on the outside is being used as a jam nut so the individual nuts can be adjusted without the whole assembly turning.
Lumin-20130528-185732-cropped.jpeg
Lumin-20130528-185732-cropped.jpeg (303.19 KiB) Viewed 2083 times
#1016 - 1M x 1M Y: Dual Motor Drive w/Looped Belts, X:Dual Rail with wlanfox blocks, Z: Stock, Spindle:DW660

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Index holes for MakerSlide (was Re: Mark II)

Post by WillAdams » Wed May 29, 2013 12:23 pm

no_hazmats wrote:Another thought - Drill a hole in the spindle or accessory mount and a matching hole in the middle of the Z-Rail. Thread the hole on the mount and put a screw through it. This will allow the mount to be returned to the same position after it's removed.
Why not an option for MakerSlide to have holes drilled through the asymmetric portion like this?
MakerSlide_indexing_holes.png
MakerSlide_indexing_holes.png (195.94 KiB) Viewed 2056 times
I think that we'd find some really interesting things to do w/ it if having holes on a standard spacing were an option one could choose when purchasing MakerSlide --- what would be the closest spacing which wouldn't weaken it / require all holes be filled w/ hardware?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

no_hazmats

Re: Index holes for MakerSlide (was Re: Mark II)

Post by no_hazmats » Wed May 29, 2013 2:55 pm

WillAdams wrote:
Why not an option for MakerSlide to have holes drilled through the asymmetric portion like this?
I think that we'd find some really interesting things to do w/ it if having holes on a standard spacing were an option one could choose when purchasing MakerSlide --- what would be the closest spacing which wouldn't weaken it / require all holes be filled w/ hardware?
I think it's a great idea! Insertion nuts can allow a longer 5mm bolt to be used to both align AND secure the attachment. I hope to start running my Shapeoko today. On of my first post-operational mods might be to drill a few holes in the Z rail.

Shep
Shep

ShapeOko S/N SHEP00001

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:22 am

Hi All,

This is by no means official, but I've gotten to a point in my design process where I feel comfortable showing off my progress of "Mark II"

Drumroll please!
Shapeoko_v2_0.png
Shapeoko_v2_0.png (235.79 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
Shapeoko_v2_0_left.png
Shapeoko_v2_0_left.png (183.18 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
A summary of improvements include:
- Stock 500mm makerslide rails
- Stock open front/back sections to allow for longer material
- dual drive by default
- acme driven Z-axis
- plate configuration to accommodate multiple wheel sizes/types
- work envelope increased from ~200mm x ~200mm to ~450mm x ~450mm
- X/Z-axis SIGNIFICANTLY more rigid
- GT2 belting
- more elegant belt clamping solution, cleaner belt routing
- threaded insert hold down system

Again, this is a preliminary design, trying to accommodate all of the feedback I've received over the last 2 years, plus putting my own thoughts into it. I am excited to show the render and excited/nervous to hear your feedback!

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

Tom Smith

Post by Tom Smith » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:33 am

Looks pretty good, Edward...I'm very curious to get a closer look at the z assembly, there seems to be some interesting rearrangement of components in there.

looking forward to seeing more!

Tom

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:56 am

Thanks Tom.

The Z-axis is interesting (if I do say so myself). Here are a few more pictures.

(Top ISO View)
z_axis_top.png
z_axis_top.png (100.9 KiB) Viewed 1988 times
(Back View)
z_axis_back.png
z_axis_back.png (137.9 KiB) Viewed 1988 times
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:31 am

Lessee, we have:

- inverted belts on the inside which don't interfere w/ the gantry --- huge win --- I hope the belt clamps will be available as a separate item from Inventables

- open end plates --- I'll miss the simplicity of the old design, but big win --- still disappointed that we didn't merge them w/ the standard carriage plates

- Dual Motor --- that's a big jump in price / complication --- I still prefer the simplicity /flexibility of a driveshaft as standard and the option of then switching to dual motor if one has a stepper to spare

- mount plates --- like the symmetry of the original design, but still thinking the eShapeOko plates offer a lot for the gantry ends when going dual makerslide for the x-axis --- what's w/ the 8 bolts holding a single piece of MakerSlide?

- doubled mount plates for X-axis carriage --- big win for rigidity, does the added thickness / weight alter the gantry charcteristics noticeably? --- will individual plates be available? tested w/ dual MakerSlide?

- the belt-driven Z-Axis is an effective way to minimize the lever effect and increase Y-axis area, but I still like the elegance and symmetry of the original and wish the motor w/ Acme screw shaft had appeared on my radar earlier. Would it be helpful to use a longer belt, add a second pulley and delrin nut and screw and restore symmetry? Did you consider a design where the motor was mounted on the plate?

- does the new Z-axis plate get us the indexed quick mount we've been wanting?

- will there be a new stock spindle to go along w/ the new mounts?

- the levelling base is a nice touch --- will it be an _option_ for the kit at Inventables? A bit surprised, since the flexibility and variety of bases has been interesting to see.

and is the Z-axis Makerslide turned around? The side w/ two slots be facing out to mount the spindle, right?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:33 am

Will there be an upgrade kit available to allow people to move up to the new design?

When will the new CAD files be on Github?