Mark II

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
SnapFracturePop

Re: Mark II

Post by SnapFracturePop » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:15 pm

Ah, I missed the bit about the X axis expansion - awesome! Thanks for answering my question before i even asked it!
Shapeoko #384: dual-Y, outside-belt, ACME-Z,1000mm Y, drag chain cable management, insert-nut style base board, 800mw IR laser cutter, & 3d-printing with Qu-Bd & Printrboard.

cmason

Post by cmason » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:10 am

I noticed this project on inventables.

I'm following the Mark II discussion closely as I'm very interested in a Shapeoko with proven mechanicals (not custom) but that accommodates longer wooden boards. I'm comfortable providing my own electronics and even motors.

I assume this is a work in progress, as it doesn't seem to have, in particular, the end rails, although they are mentioned in a section at the bottom.

Is there a timeframe for Mark II? I'm not looking for an exact date, but if it's "next year" then I'll probably have to piece together my own solution.

I also notice a total cost of around $450 ($312 + $128), not including motors or electronics. Is the intent to try to drive this cost down somewhat? The original price point of <$300 ($225 + $42 for dual drive kit) is really attractive! I understand that the Mark II is more capable and so may carry a somewhat higher price.

Thanks so much.

-c

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:41 am

That's a rough draft on Mk II, I believe, which is also significantly larger (1m x 1m) than stock (375mm x 375mm), hence more expensive.

I don't expect the next generation to increase in price significantly --- I also don't see it having features which can't be retrofitted.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

danimal

Post by danimal » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:33 am

Man, I go on a vacation and a couple work trips and miss the whole Mark II discussion!

Anyway, with everything covered here there are a couple things that I would like to see. First I agree with going with steel for several reasons. Heavier is a good thing unless you are really lengthening the makers slide without reinforcing it. Heavier makes the system less susceptible to transmitted vibration and error due to the higher inertia. A little slower yes, but it is the accuracy that counts. Make it as rigid as possible for our given applications.

Second, given the steady stream of upgrades that have been systematically implemented through various revisions of the Shapeoko I would like to have the option somewhere to purchase just a plate set, or each individual plate for the upcoming configurations. Specifically I would like to buy the new z axis v-wheel mount plate separately and add it to my current configuration. It would allow for the greater spacing between v-wheels and make all the difference in making the z axis more ridged.

So combining my two personal needs above, is it even a remote possibility that there will be individual laser cut plate pieces for sale somewhere and if they are is it possible to offer them in a standard and "Heavy gauge" plate thickness?

I want to build a second heavy duty Shapeoko and I like so many things about this new configuration but I will most likely use steel v wheels and steel v-rail so that supporting a larger more powerful router is possible. Heavier duty steel plates would also help. Just an idea.
Shapeoko # 1458

RT0701C Spindle || dual y motor || x axis nema23 with custom carriage 1000mm length || z axis nema23 linear rail upgrade with 1/2-10 ACME

getSurreal

Post by getSurreal » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:36 pm

I wish I had found this thread sooner. I just completed the framing of my custom design that has an open front for longer material and I could of took some inspiration from the Mark II. One thing I would like to see consideration for on the Mark II is clamping rails.

For my expansion I took one piece of 1800mm makerslide and cut it into three. I decided every mm I take off the y gets me double on the x, so instead of 600x600, I went with 575x650. I'm already wishing I would have made the x large enough to fit 24" wide material though.
ShapeOkoGetSurreal.jpg
ShapeOkoGetSurreal.jpg (178.14 KiB) Viewed 1005 times
ShapeOkoGetSurreal2.jpeg
ShapeOkoGetSurreal2.jpeg (188.33 KiB) Viewed 1005 times
Shapeoko 1868F
"The only difference between a madman and me is that I'm not mad" - Salvador Dali