Going Bigger - Rail System

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
ben_marrett

Going Bigger - Rail System

Post by ben_marrett » Thu May 30, 2013 12:37 am

Hi All,

Looking to expand my shapeoko substantially with the end result being 1.2 or 1.5 x1.2m. Looking at what my rail options are and have concluded on the following.

Option 1: Purchase 40x80 T-Slot Extrusion for all axis and run openrail on the extrusion.

Option 2: Purchase the new V-Slot Extrusion in 20x80 and double up on the x-axis

Thoughts on the above? My Concern with the v slot is that debris could get lodged in the v-slot causing issues while running jobs.

Also do i need to look at acme screws for all axis rather then the mxl belting?

Its also worth noting the machine will be run most days for atleast 6 hours per day.

Thanks,

Ben

Enraged

Re: Going Bigger - Rail System

Post by Enraged » Thu May 30, 2013 12:40 am

Solution to debris in the slot is to use sweepers that run slightly ahead of the wheel and push debris out of the way.

ben_marrett

Post by ben_marrett » Thu May 30, 2013 1:29 am

Great idea. Wondering if anyone has had experience with the vslot yet? By Design it seems it would have more stability then the narrow rail

DevinTX

Post by DevinTX » Thu May 30, 2013 3:22 am

I looked at the v-slot but I am concerned about the idea of using the two outer edges of the wheels vs a single point on the inner part of the wheels. If the z-axis is not 100% solid and perpendicular to the rail I foresee issues.

Devin
ShapeOko # 207 / Dual Y Drive / Acme Upgrade / Belt on outside / Working on expansion

ben_marrett

Post by ben_marrett » Thu May 30, 2013 4:04 am

DevinTX wrote:I looked at the v-slot but I am concerned about the idea of using the two outer edges of the wheels vs a single point on the inner part of the wheels. If the z-axis is not 100% solid and perpendicular to the rail I foresee issues.

Devin
agreed.... will see if anyone has anything else to add before i bite the bullet and proceed with the openrail system

PsyKo

Post by PsyKo » Thu May 30, 2013 6:24 am

It also depend a lot of your machine.
If you're using steel V Wheels, then you definitely want to go with Open Rail because Makerslide or any anodised extrusion will be damaged.
What precision do you need ?

I'm also concerned with the V-Slot both side contact.

For the 6h/day, it requires a good rotary tool that can keep up the load.
Shapeoko #736
Kress 800, Z Axis upgrade, dual Y, 600mm X&Y rails, metal spacers and V Wheels, home switches, 4th axis
Goko - Free CNC Control Software - http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 380#p44380

ben_marrett

Post by ben_marrett » Thu May 30, 2013 6:40 am

PsyKo wrote:It also depend a lot of your machine.
If you're using steel V Wheels, then you definitely want to go with Open Rail because Makerslide or any anodised extrusion will be damaged.
What precision do you need ?

I'm also concerned with the V-Slot both side contact.

For the 6h/day, it requires a good rotary tool that can keep up the load.
Hi PsyKo,

Will be using the steel V wheels. Machine needs to be quite precise hence why im doing these upgrades.

Actually thinking of going the 20x80 v-slot with the openrail attached to that, have just sent a Facebook Message to confirm compatibility. Going down this path gives me lots of options.

Spindle is a makita trim router type for the moment, will see how it goes.

Ben

PsyKo

Post by PsyKo » Thu May 30, 2013 8:25 am

ben_marrett wrote:Will be using the steel V wheels
Then Open Rail is to be preffered then.
I'm using steel wheels with makerslide, and after a few days of use, the aluminium already has some scratches. I'm not sure if they are only visual, or if some material actually get removed though.
I won't be able to take a picture before next weekend.

Edit : just to be clear : I haven't tried Open Rail yet. But still I'm using Steel wheels, that something I'm seriously considering. According to Catalin, Open Rail is compatible with makerslide.
Shapeoko #736
Kress 800, Z Axis upgrade, dual Y, 600mm X&Y rails, metal spacers and V Wheels, home switches, 4th axis
Goko - Free CNC Control Software - http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 380#p44380

ben_marrett

Post by ben_marrett » Thu May 30, 2013 1:58 pm

Just to throw in another option. What about going down this path instead? Will end up being about the same cost as postage to Australia for the open gear is huge.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SBR25UU-NEW- ... 43b880cbc9

and the associated rail

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SBR25-1200mm ... 460c7f4f6e

Improbable Construct

Post by Improbable Construct » Thu May 30, 2013 4:28 pm

It doesn't matter which way you go, you will probably have to build a whole new machine.
Almost nothing from a stock shapeoko will be reuseable with any of the rail systems you are looking at.
Speaking from experience building a bigger machine can get really expensive really quickly.
Mine still sort of looks like a shapeoko but just barely.
I have actually replaced enough parts to rebuild my original shapeoko.
I think I have replaced enough parts now to build another one.
Be sure you have the whole thing figured out before you start buying parts, and remember cheaper is almost never better. :)
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct