Going Bigger - Rail System

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
PsyKo

Re: Going Bigger - Rail System

Post by PsyKo » Thu May 30, 2013 7:16 pm

Improbable Construct wrote:It doesn't matter which way you go, you will probably have to build a whole new machine.
Almost nothing from a stock shapeoko will be reuseable with any of the rail systems you are looking at.
Speaking from experience building a bigger machine can get really expensive really quickly.
Mine still sort of looks like a shapeoko but just barely.
I have actually replaced enough parts to rebuild my original shapeoko.
I think I have replaced enough parts now to build another one.
Be sure you have the whole thing figured out before you start buying parts, and remember cheaper is almost never better. :)
I couldn't agree anymore.

I also can build a brand new Shapeoko from my spare parts. Only the electronic + motors are missing.
I'm thinking about how to recycle it : laser engraving, measure bench, ... still thinking
Shapeoko #736
Kress 800, Z Axis upgrade, dual Y, 600mm X&Y rails, metal spacers and V Wheels, home switches, 4th axis
Goko - Free CNC Control Software - http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 380#p44380

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Thu May 30, 2013 7:29 pm

On the gripping hand, I was very careful in my upgrade planning to wherever possible, minimize expenditures and surplus parts --- all I have to spare are:

- threaded rod, Z-axis bearing plate and bearing (since I bought IC's Acme screw upgrade)
- 1 length of 375mm MakerSlide (used the other for a dual MakerSlide X-Axis

Suggestions on usage are welcome, or perhaps we should set up a pass-it-forward topic in the classifieds for students and non-profits?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

ben_marrett

Post by ben_marrett » Fri May 31, 2013 12:54 am

Thanks all for your input. I will be reusing all of the original shapeoko gear for an engraving station/backup machine. With the linear rail that i posted do you think i would need a rail top and bottom for the x asis?

Improbable Construct

Post by Improbable Construct » Fri May 31, 2013 3:39 pm

ben_marrett wrote:Thanks all for your input. I will be reusing all of the original shapeoko gear for an engraving station/backup machine. With the linear rail that i posted do you think i would need a rail top and bottom for the x asis?
yes
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct

Tom Smith

Post by Tom Smith » Fri May 31, 2013 3:40 pm

WillAdams wrote:On the gripping hand...
Kudos for the scifi engineering reference, William :-)

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Fri May 31, 2013 4:18 pm

Thanks! Glad you (and twforeman who sent me a PM) enjoyed it.

For those who don't get ``on the gripping hand'', it's a reference to Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle's _The Mote in God's Eye_ (there are two sequels, one by Niven & Pournelle and another by a child of one of the authors). The aliens in the novel have 3 arms, one of which is much stronger / better leveraged than the other and is referred to as ``the gripping hand''.

Most of the engineering in the books is glossed over (though there is a reference to a hand-held, stylus operated computer which is probably why I went through an NCR-3125 (since donated to the Smithsonian by the guy I sold it to), Newton MessagePad, Fujitsu Point 510, Stylistic 2300 and am now using a Fujitsu Stylistic ST-4121), but I may have to make something in homage to it, or to _King David's Spaceship_.

I think I'm going to name my ShapeOko ``Watchmaker''.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

Tom Smith

Post by Tom Smith » Fri May 31, 2013 4:55 pm

WillAdams wrote:I think I'm going to name my ShapeOko ``Watchmaker''.
Make sure it doesn't breed...

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Fri May 31, 2013 5:04 pm

Tom Smith wrote:Make sure it doesn't breed...
Actually, if there's anything which I find disappointing about the ShapeOko is that it's not directly capable of self-replication.

I'd really like to see a re-working of the design which would allow for all custom parts to be directly reproducible on a machine --- I guess I.C.'s carbon fibre plates qualify, but out of something a little less skewed towards unobtainium (but a little stiffer than 1/8" aluminum --- I have _got_ to replace my standard carriage plate).

I'd also like to see w/ such a design, where one would, after assembling a machine, fashion two additional sets of parts which would then be shipped off to the next two nearby people who wanted a machine --- the whole pay it forward concept codified and built into the pricing somehow.

William

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri May 31, 2013 11:10 pm

WillAdams wrote:I'd also like to see w/ such a design, where one would, after assembling a machine, fashion two additional sets of parts which would then be shipped off to the next two nearby people who wanted a machine --- the whole pay it forward concept codified and built into the pricing somehow.
You're setting up a Malthusian catastrophe of CNC machines. (If only.)
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

ben_marrett

Post by ben_marrett » Fri May 31, 2013 11:21 pm

there is a large MDF based machined that is self reproducible its called kikori.