shakpeoko 2: expand to 1800mm x 900mm

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
cvoinescu

Re: shakpeoko 2: expand to 1800mm x 900mm

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:08 pm

Harry Raley (who ran the Ulule campaign to get MakerSlide made in the UK, and with whom I collaborated for a while) had nicked the same photo, and for a long time I had it on the front page of my shop. Imagine how mortified I was when I realized where it came from. :?
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

RobCee

Post by RobCee » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:42 am

Wow! The guy that setup the challenge website is rather upset with the product, isn't he?!

RC - Tapatalk
ShapeOko2 #3400 - Chinese 800W AC Spindle - Stiffened X-Axis - TR10 Z-Axis - Inverted Z Motor - Hall Effect Limits - Drag Chains & Custom Brackets

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:26 pm

Even if only a small part of his claims were true, his anger would still be completely understandable.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

ALuomala

Post by ALuomala » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:13 pm

After reading through the website (link here) created by the disgruntled customer, it seems to be evident that it is NOT a good idea to buy any of his [CNCMogul's] products (the Makerslide seems of dodgy quality).

Definitely a case of Caveat Emptor.

Allan
ShapeOko2, serial ??
DW660 spindle;
Upgrades: 900mm X axis and 1000mm Y axis; ACME Z Axis; modified MDF wasteboard with t-slot
Primary usage: wood crafting (signs, plaques, and ultimately a CNC-made electric guitar)

LouisV

Post by LouisV » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:14 pm

Commenting on the last few posts I have to say the design of the CNC Mogul is interesting and at first glance looks like a nice machine to own. However from the looks of it the parts that make it up range from "ok" to bad. It also looks like he's not the only one who is selling the design. Another company is selling the exact same machine, though I have a suspicion they're a Chinese company despite having a physical address in the states. The machine even has their company logo on it as opposed to Mogul's. You can see it here http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.co ... ul-machine

The finding is interesting and might explain why the quality of the machine is questionable. Unless an American or European company is directly overseeing the production, Chinese made stuff is usually poor in quality. I don't know if the Mogul has improved in recent times but I think people are far better off with building a Shapeoko 2 to suit their needs. It's a solid design and has so much potential for upgrades and modifications that you can make it perform well enough for a small production business. I mean I plan on doing another major upgrade later this year (I want to use a 2 or even 3 HP spindle) and I think it's so awesome that I can even do that. A lot of machines don't even give you that option. I really love the Shapeoko design, it's so easy to keep upgrading and molding the machine for your needs.

WanderingFool

Post by WanderingFool » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:50 am

So I'm new to CNC's. I've been reading this site and the wiki, and watching lots of youtube on the shapeoko 2, and I think I'm ready to pull the trigger and order it. My only concern is the small build area. The projects I have in mind include cribbage boards, picture frames, address signs, and eventually cutting aluminum. I'm looking to spend less than $1000 total. And while it's still valid (ends 3/31), I'd like to take advantage of the free $150 at misumi.

I'm going to get the full shapeoko 2 kit.
I like the idea of buying 3 1800mm makerslides for making a 1800mm x 900mm machine. It might be overkill for now, but i don't use my pool table anyways, so i might as well cover all of it instead of half of it.

What have other people ordered at misumi? their site is not the most user friendly and I'm not sure what i'm looking at half the time. some of you mentioned more AL struts, but which ones? and how much? any other things i should have on hand?

Thanks all!
Shapeoko 2 #5066, build in progress

LouisV

Post by LouisV » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:05 pm

WanderingFool wrote:So I'm new to CNC's. I've been reading this site and the wiki, and watching lots of youtube on the shapeoko 2, and I think I'm ready to pull the trigger and order it. My only concern is the small build area. The projects I have in mind include cribbage boards, picture frames, address signs, and eventually cutting aluminum. I'm looking to spend less than $1000 total. And while it's still valid (ends 3/31), I'd like to take advantage of the free $150 at misumi.

I'm going to get the full shapeoko 2 kit.
I like the idea of buying 3 1800mm makerslides for making a 1800mm x 900mm machine. It might be overkill for now, but i don't use my pool table anyways, so i might as well cover all of it instead of half of it.

What have other people ordered at misumi? their site is not the most user friendly and I'm not sure what i'm looking at half the time. some of you mentioned more AL struts, but which ones? and how much? any other things i should have on hand?

Thanks all!
Hey, so you're just looking at expanding the stock kit to a bigger size? The stock Shapeoko 2 is a good machine, but if you're going to use this for a small business or if you're wanting to cut aluminum more than once in a blue moon I'd suggest upgrading the machine in other aspect besides increasing the XY length. The stock dremel is pretty underpowered and is only good for cutting soft woods, soft plastics or engraving. Cutting hard woods or aluminum will take the machine quite a bit of time. If this is purely for hobby use this may not be a problem for you.

Now I'm assuming you're wanting the Y axis at the 1800mm length? At that length you'll want to buy the mid-span support upgrade at Shapeoko's store. http://shop.shapeoko.com/collections/fr ... an-support You'll want to use them for every 300-400mm of length.

Considering your budget you might be able to squeeze in the acme screw upgrade and a more powerful spindle. I suggest something in the 400w to 600w range. If you live in the states I have a used 600w DC spindle with power supply that I'd be willing to sell you at half of what I bought it for. It only has about 10 hours of use on it and is 5 times more powerful than the stock dremel so you'll see faster cut times for sure, but if you're wanting to cut aluminum on regular basis you'll still probably want a better spindle, at least an 800w AC.

WanderingFool

Post by WanderingFool » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:13 pm

Thanks for getting back to me LouisV!

I ordered a bunch of AL extrusion from Misumi before the free $150 promo was gone (for the base of the larger machine) and just finally ordered my shapeoko 2 a few days ago... I've decided to build/upgrade in steps, so I can learn as I go, and so the cost is spread out. I've revised my budget to $1500 because that's what it looks like its going to be when its all done.

My plan:
I'll build the stock shapeoko 2, get it working and run a few projects to learn everything i need to know.
Then buy the longer maker slides and the mid slide supports you mentioned to upgrade the size of the machine.
Then upgrade the stepper motors as I'm sure i'll get annoyed with speed at that point (Add the ACME screw z-axis too).
Somewhere in there I'll probably upgrade the spindle to a Makita router, everyone seems pretty happy with it, and its only $100 at Home Depot.

hopefully that will be good enough for the occasional AL project, I'm planning to work mostly in wood.
My only real interest in AL is we have a lot of scrap at work, so material would be free!

For now its just going to be a hobby machine. If i can make money on the side with it, all the better. I think my goal with that would be to eventually recoup the cost of the machine. A hobby that pays for itself is my kind of hobby.
Shapeoko 2 #5066, build in progress

LouisV

Post by LouisV » Fri May 02, 2014 2:29 am

WanderingFool wrote:Thanks for getting back to me LouisV!

I ordered a bunch of AL extrusion from Misumi before the free $150 promo was gone (for the base of the larger machine) and just finally ordered my shapeoko 2 a few days ago... I've decided to build/upgrade in steps, so I can learn as I go, and so the cost is spread out. I've revised my budget to $1500 because that's what it looks like its going to be when its all done.

My plan:
I'll build the stock shapeoko 2, get it working and run a few projects to learn everything i need to know.
Then buy the longer maker slides and the mid slide supports you mentioned to upgrade the size of the machine.
Then upgrade the stepper motors as I'm sure i'll get annoyed with speed at that point (Add the ACME screw z-axis too).
Somewhere in there I'll probably upgrade the spindle to a Makita router, everyone seems pretty happy with it, and its only $100 at Home Depot.

hopefully that will be good enough for the occasional AL project, I'm planning to work mostly in wood.
My only real interest in AL is we have a lot of scrap at work, so material would be free!

For now its just going to be a hobby machine. If i can make money on the side with it, all the better. I think my goal with that would be to eventually recoup the cost of the machine. A hobby that pays for itself is my kind of hobby.
Sounds great! Let us know if you need any help and please post updates!

zootalaws

Post by zootalaws » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:23 am

WanderingFool wrote:Somewhere in there I'll probably upgrade the spindle to a Makita router, everyone seems pretty happy with it, and its only $100 at Home Depot.
IIRC the smaller Makita routers use bushes, not bearings. A cheap and well-worth-it upgrade is to fit sealed roller bearings in place of the bushes - better accuracy, longer life and quieter operation.