Diy easy detachable dust shoe for DW660

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
JasonW

Diy easy detachable dust shoe for DW660

Post by JasonW » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:33 am

Here is an diy detachable dust shoe for DW660 (should be easy enough to adopt to other spindle) I came up with last night.
Its made out of tennis ball can, which is easy to detach/install and perfect on size.

Here is the link of the Instructable:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Removab ... peoko-CNC/
Attachments
dw660.jpg
dw660.jpg (89.8 KiB) Viewed 3959 times

chomdh

Re: Diy easy detachable dust shoe for DW660

Post by chomdh » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:41 pm

That turned out very nice. I'm adding this to my to-do list. Thank you for posting.
Shapeoko2 #3702:
DW611, arduino uno, gshield v5, NEMA23's on X & dual Y, NEMA17 on Z with ACME rod, 9mm belts, Mean Well NES-350-24V power supply, re-inforced gantry rails.
Soon to have inventables spindle mount and 1M X axis.

ALuomala

Post by ALuomala » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:41 pm

I like these cheap "McGyver" ideas!! I am forever coming up with things like this due to my cheapskate tendencies, and it is nice to see other people who can come up with solutions like this and take the time to post them. I was thinking about making my own (or blatantly copying someone else's) or perhaps buying the one's that have been created (although ~$65 seems a bit much for this, but if you are going for the professional, turn-key approach, why not?!?). The cheapskate DIY approach fit's my personality better ;)

Allan
ShapeOko2, serial ??
DW660 spindle;
Upgrades: 900mm X axis and 1000mm Y axis; ACME Z Axis; modified MDF wasteboard with t-slot
Primary usage: wood crafting (signs, plaques, and ultimately a CNC-made electric guitar)

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:55 pm

Given the cost of acrylic, end mills, rare earth magnets and epoxy and the failure rate, I think I.C.'s dust shoes are a bargain.

That said, I tried to really cheap out on my own machine:

- dust shoes ranging in cost from $0.99 (a folded bit of printed transparency film) to just a couple of bucks worth of HDPE and hardware and a dozen or so rare earth magnets (see http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 824#p18386 --- I'd like to improve on that to make the manufacture easier)
- mega zip ties and cable track for cable management (as opposed to pricey drag chain) --- http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... a-Zip_Ties
- torsion box made out of particle board I fished out of the neighbour's trash (you can see it in the photo above)
- Harbor Freight 1/4" Trim Router purchased w/ a 25% off coupon
- 1/4"--1/8" collet adapter --- cost a whole $4.50
- and I skimped on a drive shaft (instead of a dual drive), did double MakerSlide X-axis by recycling a length of MakerSlide left over from extending to 1M and did for the extended Y-axis, did 1M instead of 1.2M (that last wasn't through choice...)

William
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

ALuomala

Post by ALuomala » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:07 pm

WillAdams wrote:Given the cost of acrylic, end mills, rare earth magnets and epoxy and the failure rate, I think I.C.'s dust shoes are a bargain.
My reluctance at paying $65 is likely borne of the mentality that "Some people know the cost of everything, but the value of nothing". I have never tried to make something like that, so it's likely my ignorance is being revealed.

I did discover this site in my travels, and it seems like a bit of a "Gucci" approach to the dust collection method, with the added benefit of having been created on a 3D printer (all the synergies converging here!!!!).
ShapeOko2, serial ??
DW660 spindle;
Upgrades: 900mm X axis and 1000mm Y axis; ACME Z Axis; modified MDF wasteboard with t-slot
Primary usage: wood crafting (signs, plaques, and ultimately a CNC-made electric guitar)

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:29 pm

ALuomala wrote: I did discover this site in my travels, and it seems like a bit of a "Gucci" approach to the dust collection method, with the added benefit of having been created on a 3D printer (all the synergies converging here!!!!).
KBot's stuff is very nice --- I have a prototype of his Dremel dust collector which worked quite nicely given the Rube Goldberg system I roped him into using to attach the dust skirt for the prototype (his actual production device was much better).

Very sad that his wife was injured.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)