Joining Makerslide pieces (end-to-end)?

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
ALuomala

Joining Makerslide pieces (end-to-end)?

Post by ALuomala » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:36 pm

I have come to the conclusion that I am going to make an (almost) stock SO2, but I am going to increase the X and y axes to 1000mm each. In the interest of minimizing materials purchased (and leftovers from stock kit purchase) would it be feasible to use one 1000mm segment of Makerslide for the gantry axis and take 2 of the 500mm sections (that come with the stock kit) and join them end-to-end and then secure these to the 1000mm length?? This would be a net saving of $32.84 (plus shipping taxes, etc), plus it would use up some of the (likely otherwise) unused Makerslide from the kit purchase. Of course, if there is a large cost to join them (specialized hardware such as a plate or something from Misumi, etc) this isn't really worth it, other than repurposing some of the 500mm Makerslide.

Thanks,

Allan
ShapeOko2, serial ??
DW660 spindle;
Upgrades: 900mm X axis and 1000mm Y axis; ACME Z Axis; modified MDF wasteboard with t-slot
Primary usage: wood crafting (signs, plaques, and ultimately a CNC-made electric guitar)

edwardrford

Re: Joining Makerslide pieces (end-to-end)?

Post by edwardrford » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:40 pm

Allan,

I'm not aware of anyone who has successfully joined makerslide end to end and used it in a Shapeoko application. That said, I have seen some people do a long run of makerslide joined end to end for things such as camera sliders, or general purpose linear travels.

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:43 pm

Not really worth it, in my opinion. It's possible to join pieces of MakerSlide reasonably successfully, but it's definitely not worth the effort when a piece of the length you need is available to buy.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

ALuomala

Post by ALuomala » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:45 pm

OK, thanks for the input guys.
ShapeOko2, serial ??
DW660 spindle;
Upgrades: 900mm X axis and 1000mm Y axis; ACME Z Axis; modified MDF wasteboard with t-slot
Primary usage: wood crafting (signs, plaques, and ultimately a CNC-made electric guitar)

LouisV

Post by LouisV » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:04 pm

You can technically join two pieces of makerslide together, but it'll require some brackets (probably 2-4 mending brackets per joint) to securely join the two pieces. Something to keep in mind is that this may have some kind of affect on rigidity. Having one solid piece will almost always be more rigid than two pieces joined together. By how much? I couldn't say, but the more load on the rails the more potential for problems. So if you're wanting to upgrade to heavier stepper motors and more powerful spindle it might not even be a feasible option, in which case buying longer makerslide in the lengths that you need would be best. If money is a of real concern and you'll be sticking to the stock dremel and motors then buying some mending brackets at Inventables.com should accommodate what you want to do. But if you can spare the money I'd just save yourself any potential hassle and headaches with buying longer makerslide.

Link to mending bracket: https://www.inventables.com/technologie ... ng-bracket

Threefer

Post by Threefer » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:59 am

You could attach them together with mid span supports. http://shop.shapeoko.com/collections/fr ... an-support If you were going to use them anyway you could kill 2 birds.

If I were to do that I would thread one hole on each makerslide and drill out one hole on each for a slip fit for a bolt shaft. Take 2 bolts and cut the heads off. Screw the studs into each makerslide, then slide the stud shafts into the slip fit holes of each makerslide. This will keep the makerslide connection from bowing in or out. The mid span support would hold the pieces together and keep the joint from sagging. You may want to use mid span supports anyway on 1000mm span.

If you aren't able to drill accurately enough to get a slip fit you could always oversize the holes and then use epoxy to bond the shafts into the makerslide and let it cure while clamping a straight surface to the top and side to hold them aligned.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
---------------------------------------------------
Shapeoko# 3456, Makita RT0701c. Stock size for now but have 13"x13" travel by trimming down belt clamps and lip on smooth idler. Dovetailed wooden track clamping setup. Dust shoe in works.

Nigel K Tolley

Post by Nigel K Tolley » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:44 am

I haven't tried it on rail, but you could use an aluminium welding rod. You could then get a smooth run by filling neatly. Should be as rigid as the continuous length. Unlikely to be, though, as it is a complex profile and you likely won't get a perfect joint.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk