Cheap t-slot wasteboard idea

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
ALuomala

Cheap t-slot wasteboard idea

Post by ALuomala » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:22 am

While browsing through GrabCAD, I found this link to files for a cheap(ish) wasteboard idea:link

The idea seems to be a pretty good one: 3 layers, with the bottom 2 being softer (cheaper) wood, and the top layer being harder wood (oak, etc). I was eyeballing some MDF with slots in it at a local wood shop (Windsor Plywood) but didn't trust the MDF to hold up, plus I have already committed myself pretty heavily to t-slot that used 1/4"-20 fixtures and I don't know what size that MDF slotboard would facilitate.

Originally I was thinking about buying some 3 or 4 foot lengths of t-slot track and cutting some MDF panels into strips (about 6-8" inches wide and the same length as the t-track) and placing the t-track in between these strips and securing both to a base of 3/4" plywood. I am going to price out both methods (I have a table saw, so cutting the wood/MDF isn't an issue) and see which one is the most cost effective.
ShapeOko2, serial ??
DW660 spindle;
Upgrades: 900mm X axis and 1000mm Y axis; ACME Z Axis; modified MDF wasteboard with t-slot
Primary usage: wood crafting (signs, plaques, and ultimately a CNC-made electric guitar)

tekadept

Re: Cheap t-slot wasteboard idea

Post by tekadept » Mon May 04, 2015 2:36 am

Hmmm this has given me an idea, I might play with this, but instead of using a hardwood on the top, I might use some flatbar I have laying around and work the slots so that it is the right width....... Thanks for sharing this idea.