New X-axis plates

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
Digitalmagic

Re: New X-axis plates

Post by Digitalmagic » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:00 am

Gold plated instead, if possible, please!
s/o #650 - Wish my digits are ... magic!

Colecago

Post by Colecago » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:55 pm

Darn being a second batcher! By the time my ShapeOko comes I will have upgrade plans in place for most of the parts and won't need much of what I get!

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:56 pm

FINALLY!

You can order the upgrade parts from the link above.
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

esacteksab

Post by esacteksab » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:23 pm

Is there a BOM in addition to the end plates?

Looks like this from Misumi?
HFS5-2040-500

Couldn't find it, but what's the advantage of the upgraded motor plates?
Serial # 215

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:33 pm

The plates will work with any of the 5 series extrusions from misumi. The part number you noted is a 20mm x 40mm x 500mm extrusion, which will work just fine. I used 2 of those along with the standard makerslide rails on my Shapeoko. There's a little extra extrusion hanging off the sides, but it won't get in the way. It may even add to the stability of the machine? (just guessing there).

otherwise you'll need some insertion nuts and M5 x 10mm SHCS along with some flat washers. I'm assuming most people who are going to purchase these plates are more towards the advanced end of the user spectrum and are modding their machine. Thus, comfortable building their own BOMS.

The motor mount plates have some advantages, all of which are listed on this thread.
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

roberlin

Post by roberlin » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:14 pm

I thought I would point out that it seems like the pieces of 2040 from Misumi should be strictly longer than the Makerslide for the x-axis.
From looking at the plate diagram and my Shapeoko I'm thinking 2cm longer if you want everything flush (feel free to jump in and contradict or affirm this, Edward).
Anyway, probably fairly obvious but I wanted to give a heads-up since I almost ordered too short.

wickity

Post by wickity » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:51 pm

We just upgraded our warpickle shapeoko with these plates this weekend. I think it's amazing that no one's really discussed how much they look like a man with a tie.
ShapeOko #0352
WarPickle Global Enterprises, Ltd.
Adversarial Acquisitions Dept.

roberlin

Post by roberlin » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:40 pm

Has anybody tried one of the new motor mounts with a nema23?
I went to install mine this morning and it seems like the idler pulley bolt holes are blocked by the motor.

Probably I am misunderstanding how this is supposed to be assembled. Are the idler pulley bolts supposed to be going through the holes located on the lines (in the z direction) connecting the motor mount slots?

Improbable Construct

Post by Improbable Construct » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:56 pm

I have the new motor mount plates. Looking at them, I think to use NEMA 23 motors you are going to have to either space the motor out away from the plate, if your motor shaft is long enough, to clear the idler bolt heads, or you might have to change to pan head bolts or maybe even counter sink the motor plate and use flat head bolts.
Your other option would be to go with the belt on the outside mod.
Edward may have more to say on this.
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct

roberlin

Post by roberlin » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:12 pm

Hmm... if I'd anticipated this maybe I would have used it as an excuse to justify the cost of metal spacers for the belt on the outside mod :-)
(when I was planning out the upgrade path, it didn't seem worth it since the gain would be relatively small compared to the extra length from new makerslide)

With the shapeoko in pieces, I'm not really patient enough to wait for more parts.

So I bolted the old motor mount plate to the new one and used it as a template to drill holes in the original idler pulley positions.