Custom Shapeoko

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
mauri

Custom Shapeoko

Post by mauri » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:48 am

Hello

what do you think about this design idea?
It's a draft.

i have taken the Motor Plate from the eShapeoko and moved the Gantry up and back.
20x40 extrusion at the bottom for more stiffnes (X-Travel).
Result more Y-Workspace (+ 150mm), no Y-Axis End-Plates needed
sp.png
sp.png (36.95 KiB) Viewed 929 times
sp-bottom.png
sp-bottom.png (26.33 KiB) Viewed 926 times

cvoinescu

Re: Custom Shapeoko

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:48 pm

You're making the leverage of the cutting forces over the Z V-wheels much worse. We want the cutting to happen as close to the X rail as possible. Also, the motor plates at the end of the gantry would have to be made of something very solid, or, being that long and narrow, then would easily flex sideways. What you seem to be doing is moving in the direction of traditional-looking gantry machines, which is where Edward started five years ago, and learned that the plastic V-wheels and thin plates require some compromises to give acceptable performace. You're now undoing that.

What do you mean by "no Y end plates needed"? How is that frame supported? And where do you get 150mm+ of work area, compared to what?
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

mauri

Re: Custom Shapeoko

Post by mauri » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:38 pm

cvoinescu wrote:You're making the leverage of the cutting forces over the Z V-wheels much worse. We want the cutting to happen as close to the X rail as possible. Also, the motor plates at the end of the gantry would have to be made of something very solid, or, being that long and narrow, then would easily flex sideways. What you seem to be doing is moving in the direction of traditional-looking gantry machines, which is where Edward started five years ago, and learned that the plastic V-wheels and thin plates require some compromises to give acceptable performace. You're now undoing that.
Ok, i understand the problem.
The plates are 4mm Stainless Steel. For preventing the sideway flex i can put some additional L-Shaped Profile on the Plate.
But the other problem are the v-wheelsm they have much more load.
cvoinescu wrote:What do you mean by "no Y end plates needed"? How is that frame supported? And where do you get 150mm+ of work area, compared to what?
The Frame is supported by sStands underneath the Y-Makerslides.
Compared to the working-plate (Wasteboard) . if i put the X = 0, my tool is locking 10cm over the waste board