best rigidity mods for SO2?

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
seigenblues

best rigidity mods for SO2?

Post by seigenblues » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:05 am

Hey all, just ran my generally stock so2 on some aluminium this past weekend and my squares weren't very square, etc.

i'm curious what some of the best mods are for increasing stiffness. what gets the most bang for the buck?
Last edited by seigenblues on Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Batch 4 Shapeoko #837, dual y & dw660
Shapeoko2, TinyG w/ dw660, NEMA23 XY.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: best rigidity mods for SO2?

Post by WillAdams » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:25 am

I'd start by fastening the X-axis Makerslide together.

Next would be an aluminum spindle mount maybe (that might be vanity).

Mid-span supports.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

seigenblues

Post by seigenblues » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:37 am

ok, i'll try some of those! I have just PLA 3d printed mounts, they could be flexing...

how about bringing the spindle closer to the x-axis with a tweaked z-axis mount? (for a dw660)
Batch 4 Shapeoko #837, dual y & dw660
Shapeoko2, TinyG w/ dw660, NEMA23 XY.

Woodworker

Post by Woodworker » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:13 am

Will, does a third set of z axis V wheels help or is it overkill?
BRuce - SO2 #4798 - IC's Z axis upgrade, customized Z rail and Z motor mount, spindle Dewalt 611

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:43 am

The third pair of wheels helps against rotation around the Z axis, but does nothing for the more problematic twist around the X axis. If your machine flexes in the Y direction, the extra pair of wheels has no effect on that. You gain more by using a longer Z carriage, with the two pairs of wheels further apart (but you lose vertical travel).

I agree with Will that bolting the X MakerSlide pieces together is the low-hanging fruit. And while you're at it, put the front and rear X V-wheels on single, long bolts, with metal spacers, going through both plates (although it's a bit harder to match the distance between the wheels to that between the Vs of the MakerSlide accurately).

Of course, it's worth trying to mill as close to the X axis as possible. It may be difficult to get the spindle much closer in the Y direction, but you can usually gain some rigidity (at the expense of vertical travel and clearance) by moving the spindle up and raising the workpiece.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Woodworker

Post by Woodworker » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:09 am

Thank you. Just trying to accumulate techniques for when I enlarge my SO2.
BRuce - SO2 #4798 - IC's Z axis upgrade, customized Z rail and Z motor mount, spindle Dewalt 611

akhlut

Post by akhlut » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:45 pm

cvoinescu wrote: I agree with Will that bolting the X MakerSlide pieces together is the low-hanging fruit. And while you're at it, put the front and rear X V-wheels on single, long bolts, with metal spacers, going through both plates (although it's a bit harder to match the distance between the wheels to that between the Vs of the MakerSlide accurately).
This is actually very easy to do. Simply eliminate the bolts and use M5 threaded rod in their place, cutting to whatever length you need.

A pic of the old machine for illustration:
http://i.imgur.com/rqvCHei.jpg

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:36 pm

That's not nearly as rigid as a hollow piece of metal compressed by the bolt that goes through it. Also, M5 threaded rod, in itself, is significantly more flexible than the unthreaded shaft of a long screw. That said, your modification is an improvement over the stock machine, and it is quite easy to adjust.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

ijv

Post by ijv » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:18 am

Whats the best way of bolting the x-axis together? Also are there any bolting locations on the x-axis that gets you the most rigidity for the hole? :)

PsyKo

Post by PsyKo » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:03 am

seigenblues wrote:Hey all, just ran my generally stock so2 on some aluminium this past weekend and my squares weren't very square, etc.
If square are not square, it's more a squareness issue. Are the square good in other materials ?

Depending on your mount, but I'll definitely goo with aluminium mount or some kind of metal mount. I used to have a plastic one, but I quickly changed it.
Shapeoko #736
Kress 800, Z Axis upgrade, dual Y, 600mm X&Y rails, metal spacers and V Wheels, home switches, 4th axis
Goko - Free CNC Control Software - http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 380#p44380