Project Shapeoko HD

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
LouisV

Re: Project Shapeoko HD

Post by LouisV » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:11 pm

Hey everyone,

I have a couple of short videos of the Routakit HD running. The first video is it homing itself and the second is a quick video of it doing some movement at up to 500 IPM with acceleration set at 4 in/s^2. The Routakit HD's rapid speed can technically be set much higher, to 900IPM in fact and at more than double the acceleration. I don't recommend those high speeds for real world applications unless repeatability isn't too much of a concern (like if you're cutting out parts in a single pass). Unfortunately the first video is a little bit out of focus at times so please forgive us for that. Anyway here they are.

So far our internal testing is going well. I will be releasing a video of it doing some v-carving tomorrow so look forward to that. :)

LouisV

Post by LouisV » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:47 pm

As promised here's the machine v-carving its name. Feed rates were set between 300 IPM to 500 IPM with a 60 IPM plunge rate. Acceleration was also ramped up in Mach 3 from 4 in/s^2 to 7 in/s^2. We could have "v-carved" our logo much faster (in around 30 seconds) if we set it up as a profile cut, but we prefer actual v-carving since it looks better.

Keep in mind we'd usually have a dust shoe on the spindle hooked up to the shop vac, but for demo purposes we let it get messy. :lol: MDF is a pretty soft material so we'll experiment with faster feed rates since the Routakit HD just chewed through like it wasn't even there even at 500 IPM.

LouisV

Post by LouisV » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:55 pm

Hey guys, quick update. We now have a mailing list on our website that you can sign up for Kickstarter related news.

LouisV

Post by LouisV » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:48 pm

Another quick update. We're pretty much done with the initial testing for the Routakit HD, so its current design is good enough to start getting in the hands of other people. Beta testers will be getting their hands on a kit within 4-5 weeks. After having spent some time calibrating and tensioning the belts just right our HD machine has a cutting accuracy that is within .001" :) . It feels good to know that it's performing better than the advertised .005" accuracy, however we feel it would be best to under promise and over deliver then the other way around. I may release a video this week showing it carving various sized squares and getting my calipers to show the level of accuracy that can be achieved.

We're also starting work on the standard Routakit build and figuring out the logistics and supply chain for that since it's a little different to the HD. We hope to have something to show within the next 2 weeks. Considering it's a smaller derivative of the HD and it shares many of the same design elements with some key components being scaled down we don't anticipate any noteworthy problems.

LouisV

Post by LouisV » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:23 pm

I began cutting plates for beta testers today. Though I had to scrap a few parts towards the end of my cutting session because I noticed what appeared to be backlash with the machine that popped out of the blue. :x I thought one of the belts got loose somehow but that wasn't the case. After doing a bunch of tests I was almost at a loss as to why I was having problems. Then I asked to myself, "maybe one of the motor pulleys is loose? I've never had a problem with them getting loose in the past, but it's a worth a shot."

So after some investigating I found that one of the set screws for the slave motor pulley was barely hanging on which left only one set screw taking all the punishment (each pulley has two)... Problem found! After tightening that up and putting some thread lock I now have no more problems... Accuracy is now back to .001" :) Moral of the story? Use thread lock in critical places where you absolutely don't want anything getting loose, otherwise you'll wind up pulling your hair out and wasting money and time. :cry: ............. :lol:

megeshg

Post by megeshg » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:47 am

the set screw gremlin bites again!

LouisV

Post by LouisV » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:49 pm

megeshg wrote:the set screw gremlin bites again!
Seriously lol. To think one little set screw being loose can cause a machine as large as the Routakit HD to have problems is amazing. :D Granted it's a really easy fix with thread lock and one should conduct preventative maintenance anyway by going through a "pre-flight" checklist every day or at least every week to make sure the machine is at 100% before starting a job.

LouisV

Post by LouisV » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:57 pm

Hey everyone,

Some updates this evening. We've officially cut out the first batch of plates for the Routakit HD beta kits. After spending a decent amount of time optimizing the g-code and how we go about cutting these plates we've managed to get them made in pretty good time. Our Routakit HD cut the plates out at 42 IPM at .05" depth per pass with great results. Parts are accurate, clean, and didn't require much coolant or lubricant since 6061-T6 can be dry cut (though it can be tricky).

Here are some photos:

We've also been working on the standard Routakit machine. It's turning out nice and we haven't run into any real problems with assembly. It's not fully assembled since the ballscrew doesn't come in until tomorrow, not to mention we're still waiting on belts, pulleys, and motors. We're aiming for our Kickstarter early bird reward for the standard Routakit to be around $699 ( 1x1m mechanical kit) at a limit of 10 kits. Next tier will be $799 at 10-20 kits, and last tier for the standard Routakit will be $899 at no limit. We're still figuring out the electronics for it though. We know it's not economical to slap a Gecko 540 with all the bells and whistles like we did for the Routakit HD (though you could if you really wanted), so we're looking at our options. With that said we don't necessarily want to go the cheapest route either and slap a GRBL based driver into our control box and call it a day. We're open to it and we will consider it, but we think there might be slightly better options, though at a slight cost increase of course.

Anyway here is our half built standard Routakit. :D

And because we couldn't resist, here is the standard machine sitting on top of the HD. Something we noticed is that the HD's carriage assembly can almost clear the y-axis of the standard (just needs 1-2mm more clearance), even though it's propped up on the HD's table giving it extra height. :) I think both machines compliment each other nicely and I hope people will love them as much as we do.

bharbour

Post by bharbour » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:24 pm

What's the cutting footprint of the standard machine? Sorry if you've posted it elsewhere.

Tnx,
No longer have a Shapeoko, but use a machine of my own design...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFY4gC9TqD0
http://deltaguitarworks.tumblr.com

LouisV

Post by LouisV » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:34 pm

bharbour wrote:What's the cutting footprint of the standard machine? Sorry if you've posted it elsewhere.

Tnx,
We're looking at around 30x30 inches (~760x760mm) for the cutting footprint.