Project Shapeoko HD

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
Elie
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:24 am

Re: Project Shapeoko HD

Post by Elie » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:38 pm

Thank Louis. Example model/Brand 1.5 kw ? Do you sold this spindle ? I am form Canada,Quebec.

LouisV
Posts: 316
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:41 am

Re: Project Shapeoko HD

Post by LouisV » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:36 am

Elie wrote:Thank Louis. Example model/Brand 1.5 kw ? Do you sold this spindle ? I am form Canada,Quebec.
Hello Elie,

Here are a couple of examples.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-5kw-Ai ... 70277.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-sale ... 87268.html

The first link is for a pretty generic spindle/ VFD, but I've read pretty good results from this. The second link is to a rectangle style spindle, it uses a much bigger collet (ER20 vs ER11), stays cooler, and I prefer how they mount to the machine over the cylindrical ones.

Oddly enough you can find a 3kw spindle with matching VFD for less than the 1.5kw combo :? http://www.aliexpress.com/item/INVERTER ... 16997.html

We don't sell any of these spindles currently but we plan to sell at least the 600w that comes with the SD and the 3kw model that we're using for the HD. We may consider 1.5kw spindle as well.

LouisV
Posts: 316
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:41 am

Re: Project Shapeoko HD

Post by LouisV » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:32 am

Hey everyone,

My good friend and co-creator Josh Alltop made a post on reddit to do a little bit of Q&A. Not that many of you here will probably need it if you've been following my thread but it's there for anyone to read and make a post. We're doing pretty well in our campaign so far and we're excited to have reached our goal, but of course with almost 3 weeks left in our campaign we hope to blow past our goal. Every pledge counts even if it's just a dollar, so if you guys are up for it please go and check out the campaign and pledge a dollar and leave a comment, it would help our project reach a higher ranking in Kickstarter's ranking system and get us noticed by more people.

Again you guys are awesome!

Elie
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:24 am

Re: Project Shapeoko HD

Post by Elie » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:37 am

For shipping to Canada, do you use USPS ?

LouisV
Posts: 316
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:41 am

Re: Project Shapeoko HD

Post by LouisV » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:57 pm

Elie wrote:For shipping to Canada, do you use USPS ?
Yes we USPS when shipping to Canada. If you prefer a different shipping carrier we can try to accommodate you if possible.

Elie
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:24 am

Re: Project Shapeoko HD

Post by Elie » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:00 pm

Good ! I like USPS !
UPS and FedEx, for me, are big problems.

LouisV
Posts: 316
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:41 am

Re: Project Shapeoko HD

Post by LouisV » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:08 pm

Elie wrote:Good ! I like USPS !
UPS and FedEx, for me, are big problems.
Awesome, so I guess that works out. :) I've had many problems with UPS in the past so I try to stick USPS when I ship items out.

Jacobey
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:34 am

Re: Project Shapeoko HD

Post by Jacobey » Mon May 25, 2015 3:34 am

I was wondering the source for the 16mm ballscrew and the steel v-rail? I think those were the only two things I couldn't find, the rest is pretty straightforward or was already covered

I have enough set aside to start purchasing parts to build a Routakit HD. I posted a couple pages back wondering about DXF's and wanted to check if the plates are at there final stage or how all the beta testing is coming. I also mentioned I wanted to basically expand a SD into 4' working area and mount a 800kw spindle - I decided to go more along the lines of a HD with a 3kw, I have quite a few ideas for product out of aluminum and don't want to limit myself as this will mostly be used for business

How is the 3kw spindle your using holding up?

I would be happy to supply a completed Solidworks model of the HD, and wouldn't mind modeling the SD for you guys also if you would like to post along with the other formats

Thanks for the help,
Jacobey

LouisV
Posts: 316
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:41 am

Re: Project Shapeoko HD

Post by LouisV » Tue May 26, 2015 4:38 pm

Jacobey wrote:I was wondering the source for the 16mm ballscrew and the steel v-rail? I think those were the only two things I couldn't find, the rest is pretty straightforward or was already covered

I have enough set aside to start purchasing parts to build a Routakit HD. I posted a couple pages back wondering about DXF's and wanted to check if the plates are at there final stage or how all the beta testing is coming. I also mentioned I wanted to basically expand a SD into 4' working area and mount a 800kw spindle - I decided to go more along the lines of a HD with a 3kw, I have quite a few ideas for product out of aluminum and don't want to limit myself as this will mostly be used for business

How is the 3kw spindle your using holding up?

I would be happy to supply a completed Solidworks model of the HD, and wouldn't mind modeling the SD for you guys also if you would like to post along with the other formats

Thanks for the help,
Jacobey
Sorry for the late response,

You can get the steel rail here http://www.grainger.com/product/PBC-Lin ... 1?$smthumb$ and the correct model ball screw can be bought at eBay or Aliexpress http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-antibackla ... 19d54f6cb3

The HD plates are still undergoing testing but the SD plate designs have been submitted to our manufacturer for quotation and eventual production that will begin next month. We'll be able to release the DXF files for both models in the June to July time frame. We'd like to have a dedicated location on our website to download drawings, DXF files, models, etc so it is going to take a little bit of time to get everything made and setup. Thanks for the offer in making a Solidworks model, we're currently being taken care of in that department but it's good to know you have that capability. We may ask for your help in future projects. :)

The 3kw spindle is holding up really well thus far. It provides plenty of power and we've had no problems with its operation. It's quite smooth and fairly quiet and since it has a lot of torque you can drill or cut parts as low as 3,000 RPM (though we usually operate in the 12,000 to 18,000 RPM range) Granted it is a budget spindle so we anticipate about 3000 hours of use before the bearings need to be replaced, but considering it's price point you can just buy a new one. Though if you want a real high quality spindle that last a lot longer between repairs or replacements you'll have to pay a lot more. So you either pay a lot up front and go many years without problems, or you pay a fraction up front and have to repay that amount every 18-30 months, depending how frequently it's running and what you're cutting.

Best,
Louis

orangezero
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 8:35 pm

Re: Project Shapeoko HD

Post by orangezero » Wed May 27, 2015 4:23 pm

Just to add a small bit of info, those PBC Linear rails can be purchased at zoro tools as well. It looked like some of the prices were a bit cheaper. I forgot they were also at grainger, which does allow local pickup at their stores which can save a bit of money as well.

Thanks for the updates.

Post Reply