Project Shapeoko HD

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
Jacobey

Re: Project Shapeoko HD

Post by Jacobey » Wed May 27, 2015 9:37 pm

LouisV wrote:
Sorry for the late response,

You can get the steel rail here http://www.grainger.com/product/PBC-Lin ... 1?$smthumb$ and the correct model ball screw can be bought at eBay or Aliexpress http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-antibackla ... 19d54f6cb3

The HD plates are still undergoing testing but the SD plate designs have been submitted to our manufacturer for quotation and eventual production that will begin next month. We'll be able to release the DXF files for both models in the June to July time frame. We'd like to have a dedicated location on our website to download drawings, DXF files, models, etc so it is going to take a little bit of time to get everything made and setup. Thanks for the offer in making a Solidworks model, we're currently being taken care of in that department but it's good to know you have that capability. We may ask for your help in future projects. :)

The 3kw spindle is holding up really well thus far. It provides plenty of power and we've had no problems with its operation. It's quite smooth and fairly quiet and since it has a lot of torque you can drill or cut parts as low as 3,000 RPM (though we usually operate in the 12,000 to 18,000 RPM range) Granted it is a budget spindle so we anticipate about 3000 hours of use before the bearings need to be replaced, but considering it's price point you can just buy a new one. Though if you want a real high quality spindle that last a lot longer between repairs or replacements you'll have to pay a lot more. So you either pay a lot up front and go many years without problems, or you pay a fraction up front and have to repay that amount every 18-30 months, depending how frequently it's running and what you're cutting.

Best,
Louis
Thanks Louis

I haven't quite decided on a spindle yet, I kind of figured sticking with the cheaper spindle to start, get some money flowing, and a good quality spindle would be first on the list. Then again I have a Porter Cable sitting on the shelf that I could mount and start with engraving signs - I run a sign/decal business so it's one of the first things I'd start with but have many ideas to expand into including thicker plastics and aluminum - why I would want something in the 2.2-3kw range

Nice to know about the model, I'll be patiently waiting

Rails are cheaper at Zoro, unfortunately I didn't see your post until I ordered. Couple bucks cheaper on the rails and $5 to ship - Grainger charged $10 to ship :roll:

clockit

Post by clockit » Thu May 28, 2015 2:16 am

Jacobey wrote: I run a sign/decal business so it's one of the first things I'd start with but have many ideas to expand into including thicker plastics and aluminum -
Ah, another sign guy here! I did that for a few years, about the same time as printing wraps started to become 'affordable'. I did a lot of motorpsorts and I can tell you this, If I never saw another roll of vinyl that would be just fine by me, lol. I do still have a couple of roland plotters that i use to use to print large format patterns for scroll sawing be for I bought a SO2. Here's a couple of pics of some cars I did...
rm2.jpg
rm2.jpg (110.42 KiB) Viewed 6594 times
rm1.jpg
rm1.jpg (134.31 KiB) Viewed 6594 times
em1.jpg
em1.jpg (113.69 KiB) Viewed 6594 times
Shapeoko 2, Full Kit #7071, Makita RT0701C Router, 1000 x 1000 upgrade, Acme Z Axis w/Nema 17 Belt Drive

samc99us

Post by samc99us » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:16 pm

Any updates on this? Anyone getting kits?
Modified Shapeoko 2: 1500mm fully supported y-axis, 1000 mm 4060 x-axis, ACME Belt Drive Z-axis, Dewalt DNP611, full aluminum t-slot table, 4x NEMA23 180 oz/in stepper motors driven by a G540

LouisV

Post by LouisV » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:46 pm

samc99us wrote:Any updates on this? Anyone getting kits?
Well, first batch of Kickstarter early bird kits should be shipping later this month. Swing on over to the Routakit forums for more info.

TonyB

Post by TonyB » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:36 am

Hey Louis, I had a quick question.

I was trying to do some research on the 3kw spindle you're using. I grabbed the link you listed:
http://m.aliexpress.com/item/3227591699 ... sitedetail
But I couldn't find much information on it. After doing some googling I found a YouTube video of a similar one, which was 4kw running on 220v.

Which brings me to my question, does this 3kw spindle use 110v or 220v?

I was also wondering how well it interfaces with Mach3, do you happen to have any knowledge with that?

Thanks,
Tony
MegaSquirted 62mm 7m @ 20psi on 91 octane
410whp/411ftlbs

Build Thread

Atonwa

Post by Atonwa » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:49 pm

Finished the mechanical assembly with the new frame and plates on my Routakit HD. I thought it would be a fun comparison since it's so hard to tell on the internet how big things are in real life so here's a standard Shapeoko 3 on a standard Routakit HD kit with a custom base and end plates.

And here's what a 3KW spindle looks like next to the Dewalt 611.

Both are great machines and we are lucky that we have tools like this available to us!
Shapeoko 3 #109
Routakit HD Beta #001