Enclosure and Pendant Project

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
hanselcj

Enclosure and Pendant Project

Post by hanselcj » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:36 pm

I went to fire up my Shapeoko for another happy round of milling when I noticed my Y axis wasn't moving. After a bit of playing around and reading the forum I found a loose motor wire on the gshield. Yep, burned up the driver. My electronics had been sitting out in the wide open getting pushed around as I arranged parts on my work table. I was kind of asking for a metal tool to drop on it, or some brass shavings, or something to happen. So, while I waited for the fine folks at inventables to ship my order I started on an enclosure. I had already bought 90% of what I needed, and just had been too busy milling other things to make an enclosure. At least it gave me time to think about what I really wanted in an enclosure.

I had a couple of design requirements for this project: contain drive electronics, adequate cooling, beefier power supply, fully connectorized exerior, fully enclosed with dust protection, pendant control, e-stop, and status light. I got them all, and it looks decent to boot!

Left Side / Front
Intake fan opening with screen to keep out the bigger dust particles. Pendant and status lights are in a front panel

Front Panel
Front panel has the resume/pause/abort arcade buttons that hook into the arduino. Wow I love arcade buttons so much! E-stop breaks power to the driver gshield. There are 3 status lights. Green for when the 24V power is switched on, yellow is powered from the +5V arduino to ensure I have the USB plugged in, and the red light comes on when the e-stop engages. That way I know why the axies aren't working. Front panel was made out of 1/8" engraving acrylic from inventables.

Right Side / Back
USB port, and switchable power plug above the air exhaust port. On the back side is the 3 motor connectors installed using the 1/8" engraving plastic again. There is room left for limit switches or other connectors back there. I threw a lid on with some acrylic I had lying around.

A Look Inside

I did the assembly in two stages. First I build the box and installed enough parts to get the shapeoko back up and running. This included a 24V power supply, driver electronics, fan, and related feed throughs. I broke out the 24V supply to a rail with many screw lugs. This made powering accessories easier.

Once I got the basics working I added the front and pendant controls. There is kind of a wiring mess, but I wanted enough room to work with the front open and there was a lot going on in order to get status lights and control going.

The fan grills reduced the flow so I tried to add a little guide to help keep the air flow over the boards. I might try to find a higher flow fan if I run into issues.

Everything seems to work really well, and I am glad to have it all buttoned up. Hopefully with everything contained I won't be having any more loose wires/blown driver boards, and I can start milling conductive materials with impunity. My only issue has been with the arduino abort button. It certainly aborts quickly, but then UGS seems to lock me out of making any commands. I cant do anything other than close the software and reconnect. Not a big deal, but I think I will stick with the E-stop.

Questions comments?

-Chase
Shapeoko 2 #4951: Xbox 360 Pendant, Z-axis lead screw and NEMA23 upgrade, DW660 with Loc-Line dust collection, Googly Eyes, Swivel cutter attachment.

LouisV

Re: Enclosure and Pendant Project

Post by LouisV » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:54 pm

Looks great! I see a lot of attention to detail. Certainly one of the better enclosure boxes I've seen. :)

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:14 pm

That looks great. I need to get started on my enclosure one of these days.
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

Woodworker

Post by Woodworker » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:22 pm

Great enclosure. Where did you get the arcade buttons and the heat sinks? When I do mine I plan to use some filter material from a furnace filter then I can change it. I will have to look for a more powerful fan to compensate as you indicated. Does the power supply generate much heat?
BRuce - SO2 #4798 - IC's Z axis upgrade, customized Z rail and Z motor mount, spindle Dewalt 611

hanselcj

Post by hanselcj » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:18 am

Arcade Buttons are from Sparkfun for 2 bucks a piece.

The little heat sinks are from Amazon

As far as I can tell the power supply doesn't add much heat. I doubt I am using very much of its capacity. The air flow doesn't exactly run through it, but I would guess having cool air continually pushed through the box has to help.
Shapeoko 2 #4951: Xbox 360 Pendant, Z-axis lead screw and NEMA23 upgrade, DW660 with Loc-Line dust collection, Googly Eyes, Swivel cutter attachment.

Woodworker

Post by Woodworker » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:09 pm

hanseicj, thank you. I will get those ordered today. It will sometime before I can use them but want to acquire the parts before time to build. I was interested in the heat to see if there was enough generated to affect the controller boards above it. As you said you probably are not stressing the power supply so there is little heat generated.
BRuce - SO2 #4798 - IC's Z axis upgrade, customized Z rail and Z motor mount, spindle Dewalt 611

Caesar S

Post by Caesar S » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:57 am

What 4 pin connector do you mount on the case provide a quick connect/disconnect to the servos?

hanselcj

Post by hanselcj » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:15 am

I used the ones available from inventables:

https://www.inventables.com/technologie ... -connector

-Chase

r4ptor

Post by r4ptor » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:25 am

Awsome build, how did you wire the diods?
would like to do something similar to my project.

hanselcj

Post by hanselcj » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:22 pm

r4ptor wrote:Awsome build, how did you wire the diods?
would like to do something similar to my project.
I don't think I used any diodes in this project.