Enclosure and Pendant Project

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
fl0yd

Re: Enclosure and Pendant Project

Post by fl0yd » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:30 pm

I think he meant LEDs, the D being easily overlooked as Diode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hanselcj

Post by hanselcj » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:49 pm

fl0yd wrote:I think he meant LEDs, the D being easily overlooked as Diode.
Oh haha duh! There are 3 lights: Green driver, yellow arduino, and red E-stop. The green driver is hooked up to the 12V power supply. When I turn on the power switch, that one turns green. The yellow one is wired into the arduino's 5V line. When it gets plugged into USB, the yellow light turns on. Lastly, I have the red light setup to turn on when I hit the e-stop switch. The stop button only cuts power to the motor shield. That way everything else stays on.

Under normal operation both green and yellow should be on. The lights help me make sure everything is set properly, I really like having them.
Shapeoko 2 #4951: Xbox 360 Pendant, Z-axis lead screw and NEMA23 upgrade, DW660 with Loc-Line dust collection, Googly Eyes, Swivel cutter attachment.

r4ptor

Post by r4ptor » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:18 am

I can understand how they work, but i cant figure the wireing out, its so messy :P
As far as i can see, the three arcade buttons are connected to pin A0-A2 and are grounded to the adruino gnd pin together with the three LEDs.
The 24v wires goes to the "brackets" where the positive wire goes the NO side of the E-stop to the board.
Another positive wire from the "bracket" goes through the NC side of the e-stop to the Red LED. But how can the Red and Green LEDs survive with 24v going through it?
Also, there is a negitive wire from the "bracket" which is tapped to the positive wire that goes from the bracket to the NC side of the e-stop and Green LED, whats the point of this black wire?

hanselcj

Post by hanselcj » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:53 pm

r4ptor wrote:I can understand how they work, but i cant figure the wireing out, its so messy :P
As far as i can see, the three arcade buttons are connected to pin A0-A2 and are grounded to the adruino gnd pin together with the three LEDs.
The 24v wires goes to the "brackets" where the positive wire goes the NO side of the E-stop to the board.
Another positive wire from the "bracket" goes through the NC side of the e-stop to the Red LED. But how can the Red and Green LEDs survive with 24v going through it?
Also, there is a negitive wire from the "bracket" which is tapped to the positive wire that goes from the bracket to the NC side of the e-stop and Green LED, whats the point of this black wire?
This was a while ago, and the box is all closed up, so we are going to have to go through this together based on the picture! You are right about the arcade buttons.

I think buried in there with the red and green lights is a resistor to drop the power. I think the LEDs were rated for 5V at maybe 20mA.

The black wire is a negative lead for the red and green lights. I guess I could have used the far side of the E-stop as it is always connected to the negative rail. It would reduce the wires running from the wall, but would make the lights dependent on me having that switch there.

Wiring and electronics is not one of my strengths. If I could redo this I would have gone out and gotten a better selection of colored wires, and maybe thought out a wiring harness or something. Next time I do something complex I will draw a basic wiring diagram, even if it is in mspaint. At least there would be something black and white for people to follow.
Shapeoko 2 #4951: Xbox 360 Pendant, Z-axis lead screw and NEMA23 upgrade, DW660 with Loc-Line dust collection, Googly Eyes, Swivel cutter attachment.