Belt on outside

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
Max Metz

Re: Belt on outside

Post by Max Metz » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:28 pm

lol cvoinescu, I told you I was dangerous. :D

Well the hunt is on for a very cheap way to lubricate, without residue or harm, onward and upward.... if I find something I'll post it here. Best regards mate. :D

Max Metz

Post by Max Metz » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:33 pm

Hello Dan,

A new thread would be ok by me at least, the belts on the outside is a stroke of genius, so its unlikely to detract from this thread. Cutting fluid is a proven agent but its likely specialized and relatively expensive, I like the idea of something available anywhere, like say vaseline but without the mess. See how we go. Best to you mate. :D

Karl

Post by Karl » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:01 am

To get back to the topic about belt on the outside.
microwavesafe wrote:The spacers are actually M3 threaded male to female 22mm. Although 22mm to 30mm would be fine, I just happened to have these lying around. Screw the male part of the spacer tightly into the stepper (gently tighten with socket driver or spanner), then use the standard M3x8 hex bolts through the plate into the female side of the spacer. The connection is very solid.
I got hold of 4 M3 30 mm male to female threaded spacers and I agree with microwavesafe. 30 works, but 25 would probably be optimal...
http://www.akafugu.jp
ShapeOko #313

Will Winder

Post by Will Winder » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:20 pm

I bought some of the hexagonal brass standoffs posted earlier in the thread for a "belt-on-the-outside" upgrade. Unfortunately they are incompatible with the "Nema-23" upgrade, the hex bar is just barely big enough and the threaded end is too short.

Trying to find some M5 standoffs or spacers, I spent a good long time on eBay but couldn't find a cheap-o solutions. So I ended up on McMaster and found these: http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/3255/=isl0hp

The No.10 size would be ideal but is significantly (about 3x) more expensive than the No.8 size. The No.8 size doesn't fit an M5 screw, but is just right for TAPPING to fit an M5 screw. I just finished tapping 8 of them and am looking forward to getting them installed.
ShapeOko #367: Dual-Y drive, Belt on outside, 1000mm Y-Axis, DW660 Spindle, Nema-23 X/Y motors.

Primary developer on Universal Gcode Sender.

LineKernel

Post by LineKernel » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:22 pm

hi
i am going to trying this upgrade (and scaling up at the same time)
i was testing the "Belt Clamp iss3.dxf" in PyCAM to havea look at it and it is reacting differently from opening it in Inkscape
does anybody has the same issue ?
beltclamp.jpg
beltclamp.jpg (192.36 KiB) Viewed 31905 times
as you can see Pycam carries (can someone confirm if i am writing this verb the right way) the measurements when you zoom close enough
so i am uploading a measurement less , flattened beziers version of the svg and dxf files , that are working nicely in PyCAM , if anybody need it
beltclamp.zip
(7.03 KiB) Downloaded 1803 times
also since Inventables just started selling the double XX aluminium profile , and it is needed for this upgrade , do you think the way the belt clamp is bolted on the XX alu profile is strong enough if i scale all the shapeoko to 1mx1m ?

also , could the XX alu profile go on the outside (the other side of the belt clamp)?

EDIT:
also , i am trying to figure out on my original size shapeoko but to be sure
with this setup , can the XX profile can be the exact same length as the X axis Makerslide ?
or will it need to be few centimeters longer ?

alpha

Post by alpha » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:40 pm

Sorry I don't have a picture, but please have a look at this short video to see how I mounted the belts. I just used another set of the same parts that hold the belts already. And the good news is that it's not bending and very stiff. Btw the main feature of the video is off topic, just a homing cycle with the new GRBL firmware...

LineKernel

Post by LineKernel » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:34 pm

hi
i made a 3d printed variation of the outside belt clamp by microwavesafe
here it is
short belting.zip
(2.78 KiB) Downloaded 1794 times
(.stl file) (but i advise downloading the version 2 that you can find later)
but it will work on a original length shapeoko only if your belting is at least 62cm (but around 65 would be better)
then you can do the Z configuration (the shape the belt does) with only one smooth idler wheel and the timing pulley
as microwavesafe did show in his example

for my case the belt was shorter so i did that configuration (2 smooth idler wheels)
i had to modify the left (black piece) clamp to have a belt tension system in place , so i drilled extra holes
so i am uploading 3d files that i modified but did not test

to be continued ...
Attachments
short belting.jpg
short belting.jpg (7.21 KiB) Viewed 31579 times
DSC_5778resized.JPG
DSC_5778resized.JPG (53.34 KiB) Viewed 31579 times

LineKernel

Post by LineKernel » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:36 pm

short belting 2.zip
(2.88 KiB) Downloaded 1875 times
short belting 2.jpg
short belting 2.jpg (6.85 KiB) Viewed 31580 times

LineKernel

Post by LineKernel » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:38 pm

and here is the modified version of the left clamp (the one printed in black plastic)
short belting variation.zip
(2.53 KiB) Downloaded 1891 times
Attachments
short belting variation.jpg
short belting variation.jpg (5.62 KiB) Viewed 31580 times

LineKernel

Post by LineKernel » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:55 pm

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:45455

the thickness of the piece is 12mm thick so it seems not to be bending
it has been printed in ABS on a printRbot at 225 degree C
with 80% fill
some sanding might be needed if there is sharp edges where the belt rest on
you will have to re-drill the clamping system to 4mm and find M4 screws
and you will have to tap the tension screws hole to a M4

for 2 outside belt system (double Y motor)
if you have a belt length > 62 cm , i advise printing 4 X "short belting 2"
if you have a belt length < 62 cm , i advise printing 2 X "short belting 2" + 2 X "short belting variation"

sorry my posts are a mess i dont know how to organize better

tell me if you test it , i would appreciate feedback