discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
Max Metz

Re: Belt on outside

Post by Max Metz » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:17 pm

Excellent! :D

Tom Smith

Post by Tom Smith » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:50 pm

So, thinking about this, would there be any issue to just rotating the existing belt mount 90 degrees to the side? I know the belt would hit the idler at an angle , but is that a problem?

Tom

microwavesafe

Post by microwavesafe » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:44 pm

So I'm making some progress towards incorporating the new X axis plates and the offset belt tensioning. I've learned a lot over the past few days trying to mill the 6mm ALU stock I've got. For anyone interested I thought I'd share my findings.

I moved the stock right up the X axis gantry so the Z axis doesn't have to move down much and is more supported, this makes a big difference to the Z axis flex
I bolted down everything, the stock and the ShapeOko, this helps a lot and highlights the need for a purpose built table and mounting system (the floor just isn't enough anymore!)
I reduced the plunge rate to 25mm/min, I found a slower plunge rate taxes the Z axis less, resulting in less flex and a more consistent path
I used 0.5mm per pass at 200mm/min feedrate with a 3mm bit, this reduces strain on all the axes, but is possibly a bit conservative
Applying cutting fluid with a toothbrush to the cut path on each pass seems to help with the cutting, but does spray oil everywhere!

I can't use this piece as the holes were elongated when I had to restart the cut and wasn't zeroed into exactly the same start position (limit switches and homing cycles will be very useful!), but at least I was able to finish the cut and prove out the GCode. It does prove that the ShapeOko is more than capable of cutting pretty serious ALU stock.

Here's some pics
ALU Cut 3.jpg
ALU Cut 3.jpg (173.65 KiB) Viewed 19217 times
ALU Cut 2.jpg
ALU Cut 2.jpg (191.47 KiB) Viewed 19217 times
ALU Cut 1.jpg
ALU Cut 1.jpg (176.19 KiB) Viewed 19217 times

esacteksab

Post by esacteksab » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:09 pm

That's a thick piece of aluminum! :shock:
Serial # 215

levlandau2

Post by levlandau2 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:04 am

Wow, this is really great! Great proof of concept that the ShapeOko is capable of milling great looking parts. And Aluminum at that.

There is a materials page on the wiki. Would you be kind enough to document your aluminum milling on it. What bit did you use (brand, type, size), ShapeOko configuration (dual y-axis?), etc. I am itching to try something like this soon, and it would be really nice to use what you have learned as a starting point.

Is the oil spraying everywhere a big issue? I am not too excited about oil spraying all over my ShapeOko or my basement workshop.... Any ideas for getting around this?

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:12 am

Regarding the coolant: I think a set of plexi sides would do wonders. Or, a piece of plastic in front of your rails. On my current machine I'm actually using a strip of that foamy thin packaging wrap. I duck-tapped the bottom of the foam to the spoil board to seal off material/oil from escaping the bed, then cut it a little long so as to give the top of the rail some protection. Seems to be working nicely so far.

Regarding what @microwavesafe is doing: This is simply amazing! I ordered a set of those stand offs (per the link by will) and should be receiving them soon. Once delivered I'll definitely be moving my belt to the outside. Wonderful work! Absolutely wonderful.

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

levlandau2

Post by levlandau2 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:48 pm

Microwavesafe,

Do you have the CAD for this plate?? It would be nice for others to try to mill this.

Also, I want to explore adding limit switches to these plates. Perhaps some holes can be drilled in the plates which would allow a limit switch to be bolted on in a location where the motor mount would activate it....

Also, what is your source for aluminum stock (CNC newb here), and is 6mm really necessary, or is thinner ok for this application?

microwavesafe

Post by microwavesafe » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:51 pm

@edward I will have to try putting some sheeting in place, at the moment I've been manually hoovering up the swarf, I've now got to go and clean out our hoover very thoroughly and try to get rid of all the greasy ALU! I need a hoover attachment like Impossible's. And possibly a new hoover. It's not so much the grease spraying more the swarf covered in grease going everywhere.

@levlandau2 I've attached the CAD and GCode for these end plates, the ALU stock I used was actually scrap from work. Part of a project that didn't go anywhere, so I got them for free and can't be too sure what type of ALU it is, other than it's 6mm thick and anodised black. You may be able to get away with 5mm, but I wouldn't go much thinner, they want to be as rigid as possible.

I've finally managed to make 4 end plates (they take about 30mins each and I lost one half way through due to the bit dropping down, it is well worth checking over everything before starting a 30 minute cut!).

Anyway, here's some pics
New Build 1.jpg
New Build 1.jpg (207.58 KiB) Viewed 19086 times
New Build 2.jpg
New Build 2.jpg (238.12 KiB) Viewed 19086 times
I ordered the 20x60 t-slot from here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium-Pro ... 073wt_1165

Not the cheapest, but they had stock and cheap delivery. I also bought some of the 40x40 which I plan to use as the x axis at some point. I used M5 x 12mm socket bolts to screw the plates to the profile and the plates to the makerslide.
Attachments
Belt Clamp Iss3.zip
(13.38 KiB) Downloaded 999 times

microwavesafe

Post by microwavesafe » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:52 pm

Some more pics
New Build 3.jpg
New Build 3.jpg (179.22 KiB) Viewed 19086 times
New Build 4.jpg
New Build 4.jpg (199.62 KiB) Viewed 19086 times
New Build 5.jpg
New Build 5.jpg (215.12 KiB) Viewed 19086 times

alpha

Post by alpha » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:37 pm

This looks really great :)

I was able to find an DXF file in this thread but it was very old... could you please post the latest version :?: